space between house and garage

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

elkie

Hey all, read here all the time but have only posted a few messages when my heater was acting up(was fixed after first post on here).

Anyways we have a open space between our house and the garage, which is bad do to the HIGH winds during the winter months when all the crops are gone, we live out in the country and for about 2 miles there is nothing but open spaces. the winds comes from the west and funnels into the area making the doors almost impossible to open for the kids and wife.

I would like to enclose this area and use it as a mini storage/half garage to keep the go karts/ motorcycle and to put in a small shop for me. It's about 21 feet long and is from guessing about 10 ft wide.

Any ideas on the best way to enclose this? picture is in link below

http://www.geocities.com/to_explore_it/ ... 07_001.jpg
Greg

If nothing else you could build a "stand alone" structure between the the two. Just sink poles similar to a pole barn and frame it the same way. that would allow the home to move with the frost if it needs to without doing damage. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
elkie

Thank, i've thought of that, still debating on that.

I have a ?, i understand about not attahing things to our homes, but is there any exceptions to this rule? I ask this, because our home is on a full foundation, at least 5 or six blocks high, when we ran the new water line, and dug under the foundation, i was below the frost line, and i've been asked by a few people wanting to make sure this was a modular home, when they went under it for services....just wonder is all....

still tyring to find out anything about this place. but no luck so far, besides built in 94, by skyline corp ,
Maureen

Personally, I wouldn't try to tie in a roofed structure if you have a wind issue, unless you have it professionally done. I wouldn't attach it to the house, but maybe Lloyd Wright is still around to give you advice on that subject.

If your major concern is the wind and the backdoor, I'd suggest that you build a high fence on both ends. But, that's just my opinion.

Tying in both roofs on the home and garage could cost a pretty penny, or two!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'