Ceiling replacement material

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

1968 SW 12X60
Since the original ceiling panels are no longer available, I was wondering if 1/8" wood panels would work as a replacement. I am wanting a more rustic look and thought this may be an alternative. I thought I could install with new screws and rosettes and cover the seams with small wood strips. I would also want to replace any insulation that was above current panels.
Yanita

Hi,

Personally I do not see why these would not work, not sure of the weight though.

I would venture that luan weighs less than any ceiling panel...

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

Hi Jim,

I would think it would be fine if you used a better quality 1/4" panel. You would still be at a comparable weight and might have better luck with any buckling that might happen as a mobile home settles. Also, quality luan panels will have a nice matching edge joint that should match the grooves of the paneling. Provided the trusses are 16" o.c., you could use a pneumatic narrow crown stapler to hold up the panels. You could just spot paint the staples so you don't notice them. I think that would look better than batten strips 48" o.c. You would need to frame between the trusses at the 8' ends so they can be attached solid. Maybe staggering the joints would help.

I have seen a lot of old mobile homes that had wood paneling for ceilings from the factory. They were at that age that they were actually built better and used better materials. I always liked that rustic look with the wood ceilings. Not a look that would work for everyone though.

Just my 2 cents on it.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.