Deck

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

CPA

A while back I had a post about attaching a deck to a mobile home. I was concerned about the stability of a free standing deck that was 42' x 8'.

With a little engineering it turned out that the deck is exceptionally stable and could withstand a large party.

I would insert pictures here but I do not have HTML capabilities. There are pictures at the bottom of the page if you follow this link:

http://www.tastyvenison.com/in_process.htm

Jeff
The day you stop learning is the day you start dying.
macmom

It is beautiful. How long did the whole project take. I know you are proud of it. macmom
Yanita

WOW Jeff!

What an amazing transformation!

That's an incredible amount of work that you and your wife have done.

Really like your kitchen island tile and the sisal rope, the pattern of the tile is unique as well!

Love your colors!

You 2 will certainly have a home to be proud of!

What technique did you guys use to get that texture pattern on the walls?

Again, fabulous job!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
CPA

Thanks Yanita,

We still have a lot more to do but the "after" page of the web site gives a quicker view of the transformation without having to navigate through all of the pictures of the "In Process" page, for those on a slower connection. (follow the Rancho Pequeno link at the bottom of www.tastyvenison.com)

The sisal rope was one of those "How do I fill in this gap I have?" kind of things. The disadvantage of working with those small tile squares that are on a mesh background is that they don't cut well unless you have professional tools, which of course, I do not. So I have to plan around making my designs so that I have full squares. That is how the pattern on the island wound up being developed. The corner tiles were originally 12" x 12" tiles that I filled in the gap with and radiused the corners carefully with a wet tile saw.

I'll bet it took me about 40 hours to cut and lay out all of the tiles that went on and around that island but the end product, we think, came out quite well.

The walls are surprisingly easy. You have to tape and mud the seams (of course) then take a 5 gallon bucket with some lightweight joint compound in it and thin it down a little with some water. Then take one of these brushes that they typically use to apply a textured ceiling (a technique they call stomping). It is about 8" long and the bristles lay out flat to create somewhat of a large oval shape.

You dip this in the bucket of mud then smack it flat on the wall. Do it about 6 or 8 times and look at the texture. Too thin is better than too thick. Too thick leaves too much of a peak and you will always be breaking off the peaks when you brush against the wall or even when you paint it. You really don't want much more sticking out from the wall than is necessary to give you the textured design and hide the crappy job you did mudding and taping the seams.
CPA

We started this project last August, so we're almost a year into this.

There's so much more we want to do but we just chip away at it now since the pressure is off to get into the home. Besides, one can only move as fast as the money will allow you to go on some of the projects.

We refuse to go into interest paying debt on the project so if we can't do it for cash (or X months same as cash), it doesn't get done.
Yanita

I hear ya there CPA, everything here gets done as money/time :roll: permits...thats why the bathroom renovations have taken the most time...

Again great job!

Yanita

Hey JD, is this the home you were referring to the other evening?
JD
Site Admin

Hi Jeff,

Always enjoy seeing your update pictures of Rancho Pequeno. I remember the moving and set up pictures, and the trenching in what looked like rock. Great job! I like you use of colors too.

Yes, Yanita. This is the place I was talking about. What a coincidence that Jeff popped in a couple days latter.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
CPA

Thanks, still a long way to go but it is moving along.

One project I have on the back burner is in the guest bath. It won't cost much but it's labor intensive.

I want to take out the liner that they have installed around the walls surrounding the tub and replace it with tile and at the same time put in a small window to let some light into the room.

I'm open to suggestions on what kind of window to install. I'm sure I can go to the local Lowe's or Home Depot and find a bath window and a marble sill.

Jeff
JD
Site Admin

Not sure what the home stores will have in a true marble. They have cultured marble side splashes that may work. How about matching the tile you want to put up?

The Lowes and HD here sells some "in stock" remodel dual pane vinyl windows. Jeldwen and Pella. Remodels are good if you are not pulling and resetting or replacing the siding. If you are redoing the siding, the new construction types would be good.

Here's some Migard remodel windows we are installing.

Oh, and by the way, you should see an Upload picture button above the input box when making a post. Use this to insert a picture.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
CPA

Thanks JD, I will be replacing the siding on the home with hardi-plank so a new window will be fine I just need to keep it vertically small so it doesn't extend too far down into the shower.

Yes, the tile will work as well.

I cannot insert pictures because my HTML option is set to OFF and that is something that I can't change. According to the FAQ's it has to be changed by someone who administrates the web site.

Jeff
Yanita

Good morning Jeff,

I just checked your settings and reset your upload pics abilities.

When you reply to another post look in the upper right corner of the reply box and you should see an upload pic icon!

I know this may be a pain, but maybe someday could you upload some pics of your home to an album here on site. Your album is wonderful, but sometimes we forget a user name and then can not find the link to their personal sites.

Also, is it safe to assume that your home also sits on a bed of rock. I only ask as you have alot of tile in your home.

Yanita
CPA

Sure Yanita, I'll be happy to do that. It will take me a little time to get to it but be certain that I will upload a boatload of images.

Yes, I guess in some ways it is a blessing and in other ways it is a curse but we sit on absolute solid rock. We are at the top of higher ground and you might be able to scrape away 1/2" of something that resembles dirt in a few areas but for the most part it is absolute rock.

Everything has to be drilled, sawed or blasted which adds to the cost of just about everything that has to go into the ground. Every one of the house anchors had to be drilled into the rock. The top of the house may blow off but the frame will still be attached to the ground!

I did lay hardi-board underneath all of my tile before I put it down and that included the kitchen counters as well. I haven't had any crack as of yet. If they do, I don't know that I'll fret over it a whole lot. As I tour the expensive homes on the YO Ranch out here, they all have tile laid on various types of subfloors and most every one of them have cracked tiles. It's the nature of the beast. Tile just likes to crack.

I guess it add to the character of the floor.
Yanita

HI,

OK, just wanted to make certain that you had not over looked any info on tiles in MH'S.

I know you are doing an excellent job, but just have to add make sure that you do not get to much weight for your home!

Hmmm, everything is rock, sure hope you and your wife are not avid gardeners as well, something tells me you will come up with something really nice for landscaping.

I have just checked out some new double wides and it amazes me how many of these new homes has tile in them...not bath or shower surrounds though.

Thanks for considering putting your photos here as well, certainly will be well appreciated!

Great hearing from you again, and next time don't wait so long, LOL!

Have a great day!

~Yanita~
CPA

We have some ideas for landscaping but it will be a while before we get to them. They are all low maintenance concepts but I need a tractor to put them into shape. I have a line on one, maybe next month we will bite the bullet and make that investment.

We have 2,000 foot of driveway that always needs maintenance so it's not like I can't put it to good use.

Let me know if you figure out how to activate my profile update option. It's still not available.
Yanita

Hi Jeff,

Just left you a PM, not sure what is going on, you have freinds, you are a freind, HMMM, all your settings seem to be in order....

Yanita