5-v crimp metal for roof in Mark's book

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

red

I'm back with another question about the roof re-do found in the book. I've been pricing metal, and I've come across a 5-v crimp that is much less expensive than r-panel. Do you think it will install pretty much the same as other metal? This particular metal is a 29 gauge.
JD
Site Admin

Hi Red,

I believe the R-panel has a much higher live load rating than the 5-v. But since you are installing to a fully supported surface, it might be OK. I know they rate the panels with different live load ratings depending on the truss span, but again, your panels are going on a continuously supported surface.

When I built pole barns many years ago, we use the r-panel type metal. We walked around up there without a care in the world, except for frost and ice :) Personally, I would think you would be OK, but I am no engineer. JMO

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.