inexpensive metal roof

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

red

My daughter's home has a curve to the roof. The roof in the book looks like it has a curve also. How much curve is too much to do the roof with one piece of metal rather than making a peak and using two pieces with a ridge cap. Are there any photos of homes where people have put this roof on?
busybee1952

Hi Red,
I have a metal roof like you describe and will get some pics of it for you tonight. However, I didn't install it so can't help much there. The metal is fairly loose though (maybe to allow for movement of the home?) and has been tarred.
Pat
JD
Site Admin

Hey Pat,

I think red is talking about the corrugated steel panel re-roof. He currently has a metal curved top mobile home rolled roof.

Red, I have not installed a roof like the one in Mark's book. I have worked with the metal a lot though, building wood framed pole barns many years ago. While there is a point where too much curve would put kinks and bends in the corrugated metal, I would think it would work on any curved top mobile home roof that I have seen. Hopefully someone with hands-on experience with this installation will chime in.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
busybee1952

Sorry Red, I misunderstood as JD pointed out. I was interested in the roof in the book too so should have known and I bet you are covering up a roof like I have. LOL

I will post the roof pictures in my private gallery if anyone wants to look at them and anyway, I'm going to ask for advice on the roof later on. Or, people can just go to my photobucket album to see them.

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t243/Busybee1952/

Pat
red

Thanks, JD - I think we will go ahead and do the roof described in the book. It seems like the most economical and quickest way to get this roof done.

If anybody has photos of this roof re-do, would love to see them.
Mark
Site Admin

Lots of people question that curve. I've installed quite a few of them. Many others have also installed them. It works great!

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!