New to the Scene

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Hi All,
This is my first post on here i have been hanging back a little and trying to take all this great info in! First of all i must say this is the best resource i have found for all things mobile home, i just love it already.
I am also new the owning one of these great homes, i recently purchased one, unfortunately i dont know a whole lot about it.
At first i was only interested in the land (2 acre investment in SC) and came to realize, the home on it was in pretty good condition and may suit my needs fine. It was placed on a nice permanent foundation So now because of this i did not get very much info about the home upon purchase, and im having trouble finding anything (floor plans, structural design, features...etc)
I do know the home was manufactured in 2002, by RiverBirch and the model number says 4021 the only other info i can find is the vin number.
Does anyone have any clue where i can start to look for more info? or would it be a waste of time due to lack of info out there?
One of the first things on my list is to buy Mark's manual, it looks great and i have read alot of good things on here about it!!
Well any opinions on what i should be cautious of with my first home are welcome. i look forward to much more interaction with this great community i have joined here in the weeks to come!!

Thanks,
Zack
Yanita

Hi,

Glad you found our site! Thanks for the compliments, there is a team of folks here that love to help!

Have you seen the "sticky" on the first page of the Repair forum...Purchasing a Used MH. This is just a guide and not a replacement for a professional inspection.

I see you do not have a profile so that limits us from being able to give you advice on your home. If possible please complete one to help us. If you do not know all the info on your home you can always go back and edit the profile when you do.

As for getting more info on your home you can contact your county tax collectors office, they should have some info on it. I am going to leave you a link that will help you research your home.

http://www.mobilehome.net/Tradename/index.htm

Buying the manual is an excellent idea! Hopefully you have checked out all the links at the top of the page, there is also a wealth of info in those as well.

Look forward to your future questions and participation. Again, Welcome to the site!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

Hi Zack,

First, welcome to the forum. You will find Mark's book will give you a good overall view of what to expect when repairs come up.

To find out more about your home, contact http://www.riverbirchhomes.com/ Being a 2002, they may have the floor plan and feature brochure on PDF. Other than that, if you have specific questions about build or parts, they would probably have an answer for you. A good question might be if there are any recalls for components on this home. Might be a good conversation starter depending on the tech you talk to.

You should also be able to find some information at your county records office. The original owners may have submitted a floor plan when they got the set up permit. Also, there should be records of any building permits applied for.

Other than the above, you will find most mobile and manufactured homes within a time period to be very similar in construction. All the good folks here will have tons of information and suggestions for you.

Again, welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new home and property.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.

Thanks for the info!
Yanita i was looking how to update my profile, and i feel quite silly that i cannot find such a simple thing :oops: if you could point me in the right direction id love to.
wow i checked out the link and it turns out champion homes makes river birch, that could explain why i had a difficult time.

JD thanks, i will give them a call, i did check that link and they only have back to 2004 (if i remember correctly). but a phone call cant hurt.

Checking with the county may be a good bet too, and i will definatly do that too.
Thanks for the advice!
Yanita

Hi,

Glad we could help.

Ok, I just checked your settings and they all seem to be in place.

You will need to click on my name, that will take you to my profile, scroll down on a little and you will see add friends..something like that,LOL. Click that and a box will pop up, complete the box and send. It will come to me, I will accept as your friend.

This will give you your MPS link (My Profile Space) that will show in the blue task bar at the top of the forum.

Once you have that link, click on that and then you can complete your profile.

LOL, I know it sounds confusing but it really is simple. Just do them in the order that is listed.

If you need further help either email, post or PM (personal message) me. :D

Glad we could help you.

I will leave you with another link that shows the construction of MH's.

http://www.mygreathome.com/fix-it_guide/diagram.htm

Have a great day!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

Hi Zack,

Welcome to the forum!

Both Yanita and JD have given you great information concerning your home!

I just wanted to add one more thing. If you don't learn too much about your home, don't feel bad. Many of us don't have specifics about our homes. Once you get to know your home real well, you'll find that info doesn't really help much either.

Best advice I can give, buy the manual and get to know your home really well!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'