More work on the addition..........

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

gram2logan

Here are some pics of the front addition room. Hubby has replaced all the studs and sills. He's working on it right now, putting up the sheeting. Hopefully the house wrap and windows will be in by tonight!

BEFORE:

WITH NEW STUDS:

FROM CORNER, SHOWING PATIO ETC (NOT DONE YET) THERE WILL BE FRENCH DOORS WHERE THAT STORM DOOR IS NOW

Stop talking before people stop listening!
Yanita

Hi gram,

Very nice! You guys are doing a wonderful job..

You will probably see a significant change in your utility bills now that you will have good insulation, sheathing, windows, and doors!

We had patio doors installed in our back foyer entry, love them!
In fact I enjoy the light and view from them that I have since made this the computer area!

Really appreciate the photo's. Hope, since you are showing us more than the completed upgrade you will post these pics to your personal album on site as well. Will be a good reference point for others that may do the same in the future.

Take care and keep up the good work!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

Hi gram,

Hope I am not asking too late, but were you going to do any diagonal bracing in those walls?

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
gram2logan

JD,

Not that I know about. I've never seen diagonal bracing before. Why would that be needed?

Barb
Yanita

Hi Gram,

They add stability, strength to your walls. We also add what we refer to as nailers in our walls..these are horizontal 2x4 pieces between the studs that are generally located at the height pics will be hung from.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

Hi Barb,

Like Yanita said, they add support to the wall. Right now all of the framing is supporting a vertical load. To give lateral support which will keep the wall from racking, we use a 1x4 and lay it diagonal from corner to corner, scribe the angle on the 1x4 to the wall stud, then scribe all the wall studs. Set the saw to the depth of the 1x4 (3/4") and cut a channel to set the 1x4 into. I cut the angled lines, then run the saw a few times between the lines to make chiseling the cut out easy. I go right across the window studs to tie them into this bracing also.

I imagine this is may not a mandatory thing. I see many add-on room walls without them. They just add a lot of structural support.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
gram2logan

Well, I asked hubby and he said no diagonal bracing. We basically replaced what was already there (and lasted 40 years). We discovered that it was originally a really big patio. There are several big 4x4 posts along the front. The original room was not insulated, caulked around windows or anything. It's amazing that it lasted so long. I can't wait till it's completely finished (including the inside).