Types of skirting

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Teatime

Hi y'all!
I'm new here and purchased a 2000 Silver Creek double wide last November. I really love it! It's in super condition and I just want to do some upgrades.

Skirting is one of them. The home was owned by Fannie Mae and they did put new vinyl skirting on the sides that had holes in it before I bought it so it's not as if the skirting is in bad shape.

BUT I want something sturdier and something that looks more like a foundation. The whole yard is fenced and there's privacy fencing with a gate between the front and back yards. Do my dogs use the open gate? NOOOOOO! For some reason, they like to squeeze between the fence and the skirting, grrrrrrrr. :x Also, it's done fairly well in bad storms but there has been some movement.

I'm looking at insulation-backed vinyl, resin brick, and concrete panels. I want the least-expensive, sturdy option that will last and not require much, if any, upkeep. I'm also looking at the metal stuff that adds a kind of perimeter foundation.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts and input! I am disabled and on a fixed income so I need to make a really smart decision about this. Thanks!!!

Julie
JD
Site Admin

The most popular faux stone skirting is EverRock or EverStone. Both of these products are made of a resin material and is more sturdy than standard vinyl skirting, but still a version of plastic, ABS. You can find these and other products at
http://ashvillemobilehomes.com/skirting.html

For a concrete skirting panel, there is Hoffman Precast. I don't know this product personally, just seen on the web many times. You can find their product at
http://concreteskirting.com/

None of the above products will be inexpensive.

There are members of this web site that can tell you about using corrugated steel for skirting. This may be your most affordable stronger product. Steel panels are available in many rib designs and colors. The wavy galvanized metal is not the only choice.

Just some ideas to look at.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Teatime

Thank you for the links, JD! I'm going to check them out!

I got an estimate for the concrete panels from a company in Iowa. Product, delivery and installation came to about $4,100. That's a bit higher than I want to go but I would need to get other estimates, anyway. I have a super remodeling guy who built the deck for me and he could handle whatever type I choose as he has lots of mobile home experience.

Regarding the steel skirting -- does it rust in time? About how long does it last before having to put work into it? The remodeler suggested steel, too, but I'm worried about rust and the overall appearance over time.

Julie
JD
Site Admin

Hi Julie,

The best of the painted steel is very durable and rust resistant, especially if you paint or somehow "treat" the cut edges. But all steel panels will eventually rust, especially if the dogs "insult" the skirting in favorite areas. Steel buildings can last 15-20 years before showing rust at the ground level.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
troyster

I agree with JD. the painted corrugated metal roofing panels are available in a wide choice of colors , are extremely durable outlasting wood or vinyl skirting and are fairly inexpensive compared to the other options.
Teatime

Thanks, y'all! I'm convinced! I did a search and I didn't realize it came in so many great colors/textures!

Julie
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

In the "Articles" link above you will find some more info about this....scroll down the page and it is titled, A better skirting idea.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Teatime

Thanks, Yanita! Both for the welcome and the referral to the article. :D I will check it out!

Julie
Maureen

Hi Julie,

Another welcome to the site!

I have one statement as far as advice goes, concerning your set up (foundation) and your skirting.

I'd highly suggest that you wait until after the rain has tamed itself in your area before installing either! You need to let the ground dry out and settle before tackling these major jobs. If you hire these jobs out, make sure that those folks wait until the rain has stopped and the ground is stable.

No contractor in their right mind would take on this job right now, with the ground so saturated. It has to dry out first.

As far as the corrugated steel showing it's age, it's much easier painted than vinyl, ever rock or other products.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Teatime

Hi Maureen,
Thanks for the welcome! Yes, you're right, I do need to wait until it dries out. Geez, we're under flood warnings again for this week! Amazing.

I'm in the "gather info" stage right now. :) I'll get at least a few estimates, too, including the remodeling guy, of course.

Julie
texas2007

JD wrote:The most popular faux stone skirting is EverRock or EverStone. Both of these products are made of a resin material and is more sturdy than standard vinyl skirting, but still a version of plastic, ABS. You can find these and other products at
http://ashvillemobilehomes.com/skirting.html

For a concrete skirting panel, there is Hoffman Precast. I don't know this product personally, just seen on the web many times. You can find their product at
http://concreteskirting.com/

None of the above products will be inexpensive.

There are members of this web site that can tell you about using corrugated steel for skirting. This may be your most affordable stronger product. Steel panels are available in many rib designs and colors. The wavy galvanized metal is not the only choice.

Just some ideas to look at.

JD
I know this is off topic but your avatar of your dog is beautiful! I had a dog once that looked similar to that. I love pit bulls...wonderful dogs!