Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

LilJack

Hello all, signed up today after reading thru alot of posts. Wife and I recently purchased property with a 80's 14 x 60 SW on it. So far we have gutted the thing, installed new cabinets and replaced some flooring. Previous tennants apparently didn't like having to move once the property sold as they broke the water lines on the water heater and flooded the bedroom. Luckily a neighbor saw the water and shut our water off to prevent further damage. Therfore all carpet and vinyl has been removed and we are almost at the point of putting new vinyl down. Bought a 12 x 28 shop to house my tools, excess furniture and bike. Got alot of plans and will most likely be asking questions here :D
Now to see if I can figure the profile thing out.

edited because I can't spell
JD
Site Admin

Hi LilJack,

Welcome to the forum. Nice to know that you already have a good guy neighbor, eh? Were you able to save that floor or are you replacing it? Looking forward to your posts.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

HI LilJack,

Another welcome to the site!

You made quick work of the profile, thanks you will see how valuable they are to the moderators and other forum users as we help you in the repairs.

As JD said, glad to see you have neighbors that are decent, great thinking on their behalf.

As you have time familiarize yourself with the site. Lots of great info already available thru current and past post. Plenty of links at the top of the page to get even more info.

If this is your first mobile might I suggest the purchase of the Mobile Home Repair and Upgrade Manuel. Well worth the cost and comes complete with easy to read instructions and great pics!

Again, welcome and hope you enjoy the site!

~Yanita~
Last edited by Yanita on Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
LilJack

Hey guys, thanks for the welcome. Yeah, good neighbors are great and actually at the time had he not turn the water off at the trailer I would have had to search for the turn off valve. The trailer sits on a dead end street, and all the neighbors we've met are great. Even got fed dinner by two of the neighbors two nights, we're going to like this negihborhood.
As for the floors, not enough water got to them in the bedroom. Carpet and pad saved the wood. Pulled the carpet and pad out, opened the windows and vaccumed the floor. It dried out nicely. 1/2 inch ply flooring so no warping of any kind either. I didn't notice any water undereath either.
Again, thanks for the welcome.

Yanita, thanks for the advice on the manual. Always nice to have one of those handy.
Yanita

Hi,

Your welcome.

Glad to hear that you have plywood floors and had the thought to immediately remove all wet items and get air circulating. What a great find to have plywood floors, these are not the norm in our homes.

Hope to be able to help you in the future.

Take care,

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Welcome to the family. It sounds like you are doing things the right way. one thing you may want to think about if you haven't already - WINDOWS!!! Unless they have been updated they are in all likelyhook junk. Now would be the time to change them. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Maureen

Hi Liljack!

Like everyone else said, welcome to the family!

As I just suggested in another post, make sure that home is level before you start renovating it!

Yep, ya have to have the mobilehome repair guide. It's a life saver, as well as the articles that Mark has here on the site.

Maureen
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
LilJack

Thanks Greg, the windows have been updated. They are dual pane windows. Only problem is most of the screens are gone so we have to get new ones. But that is cheaper than new windows huh?
LilJack

Thanks Maureen, It's level luckily as I did not check that prior to working. :oops: