suggestions on siding repair

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

riven1950

I have a 1989 Horton SW. It has a "masonite type" siding with a really hard finish. I have seen similar siding on stick built homes in the past although it is hardly used anymore because "masonite" does not like water, especially on the edges.

My problem:: The siding is in really great shape except on one side where there were some large shrubs up next to the home. Due to moisture retention in this area there are several places where the siding is soft and falling apart near the bottom where it was wet. I plan to cut a horizontal line of siding off the bottom...maybe 6inches or so and replace it before painting, rather than trying to replace entire sheets of siding to correct the 6 inch rot problem.

Anyone have an idea on how to seal the new and old siding where they will meet? I am familiar with a trim called z strip which slides under the old siding and comes out 1/2" and then lips over the new strip about 1/2". This will work but will be more visible than I like after the repair.

Questions: 1---anyone have other suggestions on how to seal the new and old siding ( between the studs ) that would seal it and look better

2---sugestion on paint to use...siding has never been painted, just has the original hard finish at this time.

Thanks,
Ted NC Coast
Greg

Ted, I understand what & why you are trying to do, however I can about guarantee that all you are doing is postponing the fix. Many people here have tried what you want to do, perhaps you can check the archives and check what others have done. One thing you have to remember is that water is your home's #1 enemy.
I would look into changing the entire panel with T111 or reside with vinyl. I'm sure others will offer up some more ideas for you. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Harry

Hi

I had the same rot problem on the end of the house behind the vinyl skirting. In my case I repaired with plywood (see photo) which I sealed with Thompson's. For the seam I sealed it with paintable caulk. In the last photo you can see a brown 1x4 cedar board above the skirting. This actually covers the seam.

I use Olympic Maximum Solid Siding Stain from Lowes.

Harry

Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
riven1950

thanks for the comments.

Harry, your repair is similar to what I have in mind. I think I can match up siding with a hardiboard product, seal it and paint / stain.

I don't want to replace the whole sheet because it would involve removing windows and I don't want to go there at this time. Also seems to be a poor use of money / time right now. Windows and 98 % of the siding is fine.

Ted
Harry

Hi Ted

I snapped a chalk line and used a circular saw set to the thickness of the siding to cut the rot out.

Here's a closeup of the 1x4 "cover the seam" cedar board. I painted it before attaching.

I really like this paint (solid stain). To prep the walls I washed with Simple Green then washed the walls down with TSP...instructions on the box. Here's a link: http://www.olympic.com/stain_solid_colors.htm

Harry

Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
riven1950

Harry,

Thanks for the great photo and info.

I only need to repair one side, but I may do what you did all the way on just that one side...maybe it will not look to odd.

I picked up a piece of Hardiboard today. Not a perfect match, but after painting no one will notice. I will experiment with it and just see how it goes. Will certainly look at your method.

Ted
NC Coast