Underbelly and insulation

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

steelworkersgal

Hi Mark, Greg and JD

I have a situation and i am having a problem trying to get it taken care of. I need some advise/guidance. We had frozen waterlines and all and i mean ALL of our pipes splintered on January 7th it was 37 below zero. We finally got a plumber to replace all of them (i think he over charged us because i could not get anyone to come out and replace them) and it took him 3 1/2 months to do this. Now we are having a heck of a problem trying to find someone to replace the insulation and repair the underbelly material. We had or thought we had someone but they backed out. I then found another person that was willing to do the work and they never showed or called to say they were not coming to do the work. I have called every mobile home repair place in and around our area and no one wants to touch the work. I have to turn in an estimate of the cost for labor and material to have this work done to our insurance company but i don't know what to do if I can't get anyone out to do this for me. I'm so frustrated that i can not count on these people that promised me that they will come give me an estimate and fix what needs to be fixed and then did not have the common courtesy to call and let me know they either did not really want the job or were not going to make it the day they were to be here. :x I want it done right so i don't have a problem this next winter. Can you give me any idea of the cost involved?????? Sorry I'm just venting :( Thank you
You can do anything if you put your mind to
Greg

I think I would contact your insurance agent and explain the problems you are having to him, This will let them know that the claim has not been dropped and he may have some ideas for you. Good contractors are hard to find. 3 1/2 months to replace water lines is WAY too long, It is usually a few days at the most and that is getting into the walls.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
steelworkersgal

Thank you Greg, I did call the claims office today to let them know the amount they said they would pay to have the plumbing replace was not near enough as to what the plumber charged us. So i faxed his 4,000.00 bill to the agent and did mention to her that I'm having problems trying to find a reputable individual/company that is willing to take on this work and do it right or to even give me a bid as to what it may cost for materials, labor and what ever to make these repairs.
ponch37300

4,000 dollars for a replumb and he didn't even have to replace belly material! And took 3 months to do? Or 3 months before he started? I can fly in to do the underbelly for 4000 bucks!
steelworkersgal

He's the one that backed out after telling me he will take care of it all. It was my understanding when you hire someone for a job and especially what he did they he would be responsible for also closing replacing the insulation and closing the belly back up. He said he had some health issues but he said the main reason he did not get to it right away was due to the freezing weather and wanted to make sure it was warm enough to fix and not have another problem but i felt they were only excuses as qw had a lot of good warm days. Not the health issues as i would hope he was truthful about that and i never doubted him. It's the length of time it took and the cost i have a big problem with. I feel i should be compensated for the inconvenience of being without water in the house for that length of time.