Recommendations for a quality exterior paint

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

I'm looking for decent quality but, considering this is a mobile home I'm repairing, I don't want or need the top of the line brand. Can anyone suggest a brand that is fairly good? I have a Walmart, Home Depot and Lowe's near my house, including some regular paint stores.

Thanks!
Greg

The Behr line at depot has always been a top rated paint, Valspar at Lowes is rated well also. But I think I would at least stop by a paint store and check them out if for no other reason good advise, the home centers seem to have people working that really don't know a lot about the products other than how to make them change colors. Remember that preparation is the key to any good paint job.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

To go along with what Greg said I would stop in the local sherwin williams if you have one. They have very knowledgeable workers that will give you good advice and also have good paint. A TON better then the box stores in my opinion. Also sherwin williams runs sales all the time. Sign up for their emails and you will get notification for the next sale which is usually 30-40% off which makes it about the same price as the box stores. They usually have a sale about once a month.
nestsman

What about the Glidden brand found inside Walmart? Is that one any good?
ponch37300

I learned a longtime ago that cheap paint is exactly that, cheap. It doesn't cover good and leaves poor results. Once I started using the good stuff it actually is cheaper because it doesn't take as many coats to get great results. The good stuff is also easier to use, less splatter, etc. It's amazing how many people I talk to that want to use cheap box store paint and then in the same sentence tell me about all their paint horror stories and how they hate painting.

I had one family member ask me about paint and like usual I recommended sherwin williams to them and told them to watch for sales or use my account and they get 10% off everyday. They decided that behr paint was "good enough". They ended up having to do 3 coats even after using a primer to get decent coverage. They said they went to sherwin williams and got paint for a different room and it took one coat of primer and one coat of paint to get better coverage. So the sherwin williams paint ended up being cheaper then the box store stuff due to less coats and it looked better. Just one of many stories I have about "good enough" paint.

I got an email from sherwin williams the other day and they have 30% off from the 22nd to July 7th. That would be a perfect time to get quality paint and good advice. If all you want is "good enough" paint then any of the box stores will do and are all about the same.
nestsman

Thank you for your advice. I will check out the sale this week.