Need Advice

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Annie410

I am looking at a 1990 Victorian home. I know the home has had a roof leak, and the roof was repaired, not replaced. Might this be a huge can of worms for the future? I would be replacing the roof soon after purchase, but after spending a lot of time reading here, I'm a bit concerned. Also, from the photos, it appears to have original windows, which would probably need to be replaced at some point in the near future.

These are not things I can do myself, I will have have to stick to cosmetics and hire someone for any big jobs. Any thoughts, feedback would be greatly appreciated.
JD
Site Admin

Pictures of the repair would help a lot with a more accurate answer. A repair done wrong might not last through the next rain. A repair done right could outlast the rest of your roof. No way to know without seeing it.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Annie410

I am not close enough to take photos, right now I'm relying on information from the park owner, who is handling showing the home for the seller. I've considered both a professional inspection and the We Go Look service, a fee paid to send someone out to take photos of the home, and do a visual inspection, they are not home inspectors, but it would get the photos I need if I can't get to NY in the next few days.
MizFurball

Always go look for yourself and take someone who knows about roofs and skirting and underbellies and soft floors and plumbing. If you have had roof leaks, you may well have to replace portions of the floor. If the original windows are aluminum, you will have to replace them. Vinyl windows are very expensive.
Annie410

The home sold..within a few hours of getting the photos, so no need to post them.

Thank you everyone, continuing to read before I spend a week in NY looking at homes.