Gas Fireplace...adding wall switch instead of remote control

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

taysmom1016

I have a Vexar gas fireplace that is SUPPOSED to be turned on and off by remote control but I've had nothing but trouble with it. I had the remote replaced, the remote box replaced, both while the house was still under warranty. I have switched batteries in BOTH the remote and the remote box but it will only turn on manually on the remote box. I've torn it apart looking for loose wires, tore the remote apart looking for the same, tried different batteries...etc. I'm throwing in my hat. My question is, how difficult is it to add a wall switch and has anyone ever done this? Thanks!
Greg

Usually the hardest part running wires & mounting the switch. I would contact the manufacturer and get their opinion. They may have some ideas on how to fix the original problem.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
highway

could it be possible that another appliance is interfering with the frequency ? For me I had a food dehydrator on in the garage and the remote would not work unless I was 2 feet from the door turned off the dehydrator and worked as normal :)

highway
taysmom1016

Thanks for your replies...all I know is the fireplace turns on just fine manually via the remote box. I've changed all batteries, taken the darn thing apart (both the box and remote), checked all wires, cleaned everything...and still the only way it comes on is on the remote box. That's why I'm sick of messing with the remote and just want to add the wall switch. Checked online and YouTube and looks easy enough but you're right, my biggest fear is trying to get the wires down through the wall and out the little opening in the bottom of the fireplace. Just hoping to talk to someone who might possibly have done this to find out if there's a certain switch I have to use or if a Heat n' Glo or Skyline wall switch will work. The fireplace is a Vexar/Desa. We live in Minnesota and it's getting colder...FAST!!!! We depend on that fireplace a lot and it's a PAIN having to turn it on below, especially since we have to keep a cumbersome screen in front of it (new kitten). Any input is appreciated! :lol:
highway

to check to see if a remote control is actually working.

http://www.wikihow.com/Check-if-a-Remot ... red-Signal
taysmom1016

Thank you, I will try that for my remote...at least then I will know if the problem is with the remote or the remote box...Still would like a wall switch though. They're cheap, and YouTube makes it look so easy, I may have to try it. I think the hard part is going to be threading the wires from the wall switch down through the wall into the little porthole in the fireplace! :?