Water heater replacement

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mendozart

So, as I was finishing up my skirting project, I noticed water dripping underneath the house. My water heater is leaking, and it looks like I will need to replace it. I own a '94 Fleetwood MH, and this is the original water heater. I've watched several Youtube videos and it looks fairly easy. But, I'm extremely busy, and will be working for the next two weeks straight without a day off. So, I called Home Depot to see what they would charge to install, and they said because it was a MH, that the job would cost around $1500 because of special permits needed. Is this something that I need to contact the city for? Thanks for any info. BTW, I live in Bellflower, CA.
Last edited by mendozart on Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

In MOST areas it is a simple switch out, no permits required. It sounds to me like they are just trying to avoid the job.

If it is an 220v electric unit any heater that fits in the space will work. Gas units DO require a MH approved heater that does drive the price up, but not $1500.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mendozart

Greg wrote:In MOST areas it is a simple switch out, on permits required. It sounds to me like they are just trying to avoid the job.

If it is an 220v electric unit any heater that fits in the space will work. Gas units DO require a MH approved heater that does drive the price up, but not $1500.

Greg
Hey Greg,
It sure seemed like they were avoiding it. Mine is a gas model. The one I'm replacing is a 30 gal Rheem model # 21130T.
1987Commodore

For a gas unit, you MUST use a mobile home approved model which will be more expensive than a standard unit because the combustion chamber is sealed. This is done to protect you from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Since it is a straight swap, I wouldn't think permits should be involved, but CA may be different. Seems like you need permits for everything out there.
JD may know, since he is a CA person.
mendozart

1987Commodore wrote:For a gas unit, you MUST use a mobile home approved model which will be more expensive than a standard unit because the combustion chamber is sealed. This is done to protect you from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Since it is a straight swap, I wouldn't think permits should be involved, but CA may be different. Seems like you need permits for everything out there.
JD may know, since he is a CA person.
This one looks just like mine.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Richmond-29- ... /202020648
Greg

Just a thought, but if you have a 40 amp 220v circuit available you may want to consider switching to electric. Right off the bat the price difference between a gas & electric unit will pay for a lot of electricity.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
UmpJJ

I just did what Greg suggests. The plumber wanted $678 to install a new gas water heater (cost included water heater, removal of the old one, and installation of the new one. Since I had room in my breaker box, I bought a new electric one water heater for half the cost of the gas replacement and installed it myself. A LOT easier than monkeying with gas (which I would NEVER do).

UmpJJ
mendozart

Greg wrote:Just a thought, but if you have a 40 amp 220v circuit available you may want to consider switching to electric. Right off the bat the price difference between a gas & electric unit will pay for a lot of electricity.

Greg
I'll look into that Greg. I have an appointment to have one installed tomorrow, but the guy is going to swing by today, just to have a look at what will be needed. Thanks.
JD
Site Admin

Well, in California a permit is required. If the home is in a mobile home park, the permit and inspection would come from the State. If it is on private property, the permit would usually come from the County, but a city could take control in their area if they wanted. It is a deferred thing.

$1500 may be a little high in our area, but not ridiculous at all. I usually see prices around $1200. In my area, Lowe's & Home Depot don't try to discourage you from using their install services. They flat out say they do not work on mobile homes.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
HouseMedic

I would second the switch to electric.We need permits here in Delaware. Supposed to be a licensed plumber for installations. I have changed both gas and electric but as of about ten years ago they started wth the permits.

Ron
terrifromohio

I had a plumber install and switch mine over from gas to electric here in Ohio, only cost about 800.00. He wired hot water heater from the breaker box for me. I felt a lot safer with the electric than previous gas as I had problems with the gas not being vented right ap through the MH and was venting back into the house a bit.
mendozart

I ended up having a Bradford White water heater installed. I could have gone with a cheaper model, but after extensive research I went with the higher end model. No more leaks. :D