Will any basic windows from a big box store fit 2x3 framing?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

JeffInFL

I see Lowes has some aluminum single hung windows (24x36) in the $65 range. Will any cheap windows like this work as replacements for the crappy windows I have now? Or do I need to get a special type of window that fits 2x3 framing?

The existing windows are basic aluminum single hung.
ponch37300

You will have to see what the depth of the window is. But from my experience most windows come pretty narrow and you have to make an extension jamb to whatever size your wall is. So more then likely the windows should fit.
JeffInFL

sounds good .. i'll remember to measure the windows when i go to price them :)
JD
Site Admin

The window you install should be 1/2" smaller in width and 1/4" smaller in height than the rough opening (the actual hole) you are installing it into. I have put dual pane Milgards in walls made with 2x2s. Less than "no sill", the window box actually protruded the rough opening by 1/4" or so. How to ensure the window won't leak is dependent on the type of window frame you buy. In my opinion, vinyl stucco fin windows, custom ordered to fit the rough openings you have is the best way to go. You may spend a little more on the window, but could save a day or two of work and material costs over reframing rough openings to fit a pre-made window off the shelf. JMO
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

Any single hung window is the same crappy window that you have now. Do yourself a favor and get a quality double hung window.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
opinion free

One of the most frustrating parts of remodeling, is cost. Perhaps, you can rough in all the windows you want to replace, and cover the exterior openings with plywood. Then replace the windows, one at a time, as you save up the funds necessary. If any nosey neighbors ask (and they will), why you have plywood covering the space where windows should be, explain that the new windows are on back order.
You've done so much on your new home and by replacing a window at a time, it may be the best way in keeping with the quality of your renovation.
Good Luck.
JeffInFL

Greg wrote:Any single hung window is the same crappy window that you have now. Do yourself a favor and get a quality double hung window.

Greg
as long as the price isn't significantly more, i'll go with double hung.

I'm going to check the local mobile home parts place this weekend .. i know they have a lot of windows but i never priced any.
Greg

Check home stores first for double hung windows you should be able to buy a quality window for $100-$150 and have something that will actually open, close & seal. Anderson & Pella are my top two picks, but there are others as well.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JeffInFL

I know it wasn't the popular vote, but I ended up going with a basic single hung window from the local mobile home store .. $62 for a 30x40 including the screen. It was pretty simple to install .. the existing window had the flange installed over the aluminum siding (not sure if that's how it's supposed to be) so I just removed it, cleaned up the old sealant, applied new putty tape around the perimeter and popped the new window into place. The rough in opening was almost exactly 30x40, so there wasn't much wiggle room for shimming but it was level enough.

They're probably not energy efficient at all, but they look 100% better than the existing windows and I couldn't pass up the price.

Another mobile home warehouse down the road has the 30x52 windows I need for the living room for about the same price. I may end up getting those as well.
ponch37300

We have all single hung windows(only the bottom half goes up and down), but they are double pane low E insulated. Double hung are nice because you can open from the top also. Sometimes the term single hung and single pane get mixed up. But as far as quality and energy efficiency according to the Anderson site a single hung and double hung are almost the same. The only difference is that the top half is fixed in a single hung whereas in a double hung the top half can also slide down and up. The energy savings come from the actual glass panes and the number of panes. If you look at the pella website, and I'm sure any other window manufacturer's site, they list they're windows in series. It's the series that determines what features/qualities the windows have and each series has all the window options like double hung, single hung, sliders, casement or crank out, awning or hopper styles. To me the quality of the glass panes and the insulating and the sealing of them are more important when it comes to energy savings. Our window are single hung double pane insulated and we never have any condensation on them, even in the winters when it drops below zero a few times a season.

These are the windows that came with our trailer, http://www.menards.com/main/doors-windo ... c-9956.htm. Luckily when one got a crack somehow I was able to find the exact replacement at menards for a decent price. They are single hung but energy star rated and made in the USA with lifetime warranty.

I'm not that familiar with aluminum siding, mostly work with vinyl siding. But usually the window goes behind the siding so that water running down the siding has almost zero chance of getting behind the window since the window flange is behind the siding. With the window flange on the outside of the siding the water could get behind it pretty easy if the caulk or seal ever fails.
JeffInFL

The window I got was single hung, single pane. I also thought the flange goes behind the siding, mainly because it looks ugly. If/when I ever replace the siding, I'll pop the windows out and attach them right to the exterior wall studs before putting the new siding up.

It's possible someone replaced the windows in the past and just installed them the 'quick' way.