removing a lift & turn stopper assembly in the tub

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

kabucha

We have a lift & turn bathtub stopper, and want to completely remove the stopper and the shaft that goes in the tub. We will be replacing it with just a basic rubber net/filter to help catch hair, etc.

We got the actual stopper out, but can't figure out how to get the shaft out... any ideas?

Thank you
HouseMedic

Here you go. http://www.plumbingsupply.com/how-to-re ... opper.html
It's the fourth one down.
Ron
kabucha

I saw that before...but I don't see a screw anywhere?
Greg

Can you post a picture of what you have so we can get a better idea of what you are dealing with?

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
kabucha

There is a cross bar about an 1 1/2 inches down, then the shaft. I don't feel anything below the cross bar indicating the shaft continues down. So apparently I just need to remove the 1 1/2 inches of shaft above the cross bar. but feeling with my fingers I don't feel a screw or anything.

(And as I mentioned before, we already removed the stopper from the top) So what looks like a screw right on top of the shaft, is not.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HouseMedic

To me it looks like the regular type that you just turn the shaft counter clockwise and it will unscrew from the cross bar. I take it that you broke off the top? It might be corroded and that is why it will not come loose. Try and spray some PB Baster around the shaft and let it sit for a while to see if that will help you. Other then that maybe heat would work but be careful.
If that is the case and you get it out you can replace the stopper with the push pull type just by screwing it in where the old one came out.
Good luck with it.

Ron
Last edited by HouseMedic on Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
kabucha

I didn't even think to try to twist it! So simple. lol I was just able to get it off with a pair of pliers. Thank you so much for your help!
HouseMedic

I was editing my post when you posted. If you want you could change out the stopper with a push pull type. All you do is screw in the shaft with the stopper part.

Ron
HouseMedic

Here are the replacement parts for drains. You might be able to just put the fourth one done the page on your drain. http://www.plumbingsupply.com/drains.html

Ron
kabucha

we just replaced it with a cheap plastic strainer type. It tends to clog easily with hair...and we also bathe the dogs in that tub which produces a lot fur & clogs. So hopefully this helps with the clogs
HouseMedic

Glad everything worked out for you,

Ron
Greg

If you are doing dogs, do yourself a favor and buy a cheap strainer that goes over the drain.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."