Anchoring exterior pressed wood siding

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

The outside of my home uses the pressed wood panels. I'm not exactly sure what they are called. Through subtle movements from wind, etc, many of the nails are actually coming out on their own. Maybe the manufacturer used nails instead of screws to save money. Would screws be better? If nothing else, it would make removing a panel easier if I needed to get behind one in the future to add more insulation.

Thoughts?

Thanks
JD
Site Admin

Screws would work well, but you need to keep them away from the edges or the edge will break. Where ever you add a screw should be sealed, usually with paint at least. Paint is the best thing you can do for hardboard siding. If it goes one rain season with thin or cracked paint, it will start to degrade quickly. Keep good paint on it and it will last a long time.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
nestsman

"but you need to keep them away from the edges or the edge will break"

Can you please elaborate on this a little more. I'm not clear what you are saying.

Thank you.
ponch37300

nestsman wrote:"but you need to keep them away from the edges or the edge will break"

Can you please elaborate on this a little more. I'm not clear what you are saying.

Thank you.
I think he was talking about the wood splitting when you screw close to the edge. Sometimes you can't help screwing close to the edge due to where the studs and joints are. You can minimize the chance of wood splitting by predrilling.
Greg

Depending on the age of your home it may have the type of siding that was involved in a class action suit years ago. Some people used strips of wood over the edges screwed into the stud to hold them in place. ultimately you will need to reside the home as the condition will just get worse over time.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
nestsman

Mine is a 1995 Redman, so fortunately I don't think this applies.
Greg

I think the suit was from the 80's but it really would make no difference at this point since it was settled a few years ago.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."