driveway gravel

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

texas2007

Just wondering what kind of driveway gravel you have..We are wanting to get some but not sure how big or small to go. Also...does anyone know what the yellow cleachy stuff is and if it is any good when it rains ect.? thanks
if you happen to have pics of your driveways that would be good too!
Maureen

Hi Texas,

Actually, this is one of those area specific questions. Different gravel is available in different areas of the country.

I have no idea what the yellow cleachy stuff is. In my neck of the woods about the only thing that comes close would be DG. It's basically ground granite.

My neighbors oldest son works for a local rock company. We have a little country cul-de-sac on a private road Since the road is private, upkeep is up to the 3 homes here. Well, the kid went ahead and spread 1 inch gravel over the road. All it does is spread everywhere! I won't even tell you how hard it is to walk in, or pull a large garbage can through 50 yards of the stuff! It does drain well though!

My cousin and her husband used a mixture of the 1 inch gravel and what's basically a road base here. They leveled the drive first and had the rock mixed, then just spread it out. They have a much more solid drive way. It drains great in the rain and shovels easily in the snow!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Sylvia

We got recycled asphalt. Good for keeping out weeds, bad for motorcycle traction :?
Yanita

Hi,

We have what came with the home...around here the base is called crush and run. It's nothing more than dirt with stones from 1/2" to 3/4" mixed in. It packs down real solid and drains well.

What I do not like is the pea stone gravel that was laid in the parking area. This crap sticks to the bottom of any heavily treaded shoe, and then is brought into the house. Also because our vehicles are parked in the back of the home you have to turn a corner, this makes the pea stone berm up. We have spent countless hours raking and shoveling this stuff up and putting it in other areas.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
sjthaxter

Texas --
I don't know what's available in the panhandle, but around Ft. Worth we got road base hauled in and did about a 100' driveway and a pad for parking our motor home. It was about 6" thick, packed in very well, and held up in the torential rains we had from time to time. The whole deal ran us less than $2000 including a track loader to spread and walk it in.
Jim from Canada

"A" grade driveway gravel. It is a combination of crushed stone and fine sandy crush. The fine stuff fills in the voids and helps it all adhere to itself. Works well and is also the stuff you want for a gravel base under sidewalks, patio stones, concrete pads for sheds, etc.

Jim
MacAttack

Here in NW Oregon, there are two types commonly available, 3/4" and smaller, and 1/4" and smaller ("three-quarter-minus" and "quarter-minus"). Having a mix of these is nice for compaction.
lv2cmp

In the south we have what is referred to as chirt and its a sandy gravel type mixture and when it rains it becomes very hard. We put this down and then a #4 rock if I am not mistaken. Could be wrong on the #4 though but I can find out for sure.

Amy
BIG O

Here we used to get clam shells dredged from the lake but the save our lake foundation put a stop to that so now we get slag from the local steel mill. It packs real good and drains well. It's color is dark grey compared to lighter colors that reflect all that sunlight.
IT'S BIG O BABY!!