Nordyne M1GH 056 A BW problems

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

btdarling

Helping out daughter with a mobile home she's purchased.

Home is 12 years old, heater needs blower, and a couple other parts replaced. It's been inspected, the tech said that the part that senses that the pilot needs to light needs to be replaced. As I was not there when the inspection was done, I'm not sure of the exact name. Also not sure if he said blower or blower motor.

Wondering if it is worth putting money into, or should we just replace it with a newer, hopefully more energy efficient model? The home has also been sitting empty for two years. She's had the furnace inspected, we tried it last night, came on just fine but once it got up to temperature, the pilot went out and it would not relight. She was quoted $6,000 for a new unit, which she cannot afford.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
DaleM

$6000 damn where do you live? I'll put a furnace and air in for that price and still make some decent $$$$!!!. Seriously though if the heat exchanger is in good shape, fix what you have. $6000 for just a furnace is a serious chunk of change. Have it cleaned since it has been sitting idle for a while.
btdarling

I think that the company was just trying to take advantage of a single girl.

Called a couple others, they don't even work on mobile homes.

The 4th place I called agreed that the price was outrageous.

Anyone know exactly what part needs to be replaced so that the unit will relight and run after the first cycle?
1987Commodore

Wow!
I got a new Miller 90% efficient furnace for under $2000. Installation not included.

Probably a blower motor. Make sure you get the same specs on a replacement motor as the original. Blower rpm, etc.

As far as the pilot, someone with more knowledge will have to help, unless I can find diagrams on the net tomorrow night.
1987Commodore

http://www.nordyne.com/Literature/7086720.pdf
In particular pages 27 - 28 of this pdf file.
btdarling

Thanks for the link and info. We did manage to get it going the second night. Hoping air in the line due to the gas being off was the culprit.

I did find another manual, will print this one out too. Would love to see her get a new furnace. It would pay for itself in a few years I am sure.