MH model year identification

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

rr72

Hi everyone,

We're trying to determine the exact model year of our MH. The data sheet is no longer present, but here is the information we do have:

Title: 1989
Zillow/Trulia/etc.: 1991
Furnace: February 1990
Central A/C: June 1990
Front door hinge sticker: "Sailor Mfg., Inc. March 1990"
Front door glass: February 1990
Smoke detectors: March 1990

Everything seems to point to the title year being incorrect, which seems very unlikely. Could it actually be that the home's model year is older than the fixtures inside the home? Is there anywhere else we could look to determine the actual year of manufacture?

Any help is much appreciated.
1989 Detroiter 14x48
bobfather99

Its possible that the framing was done in very late 1989, with the finishing up done in early 1990. The "Sailor Mfg" sticker is on the door jamb because that company actually holds the patent on that type of door hinge. Maybe it just wasnt removed in all this time.
Tip your bartender.....
Greg

OK, First the smoke detectors should have been in the trash 15 years ago. There is a 7 yr. lifespan them.
That said,in a home of that age the year is really in material I would say pick one and go with it.
If the data sheet is gone and there is no serial # there is really no way to find out for sure and the title is the official document.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
rr72

Greg wrote:OK, First the smoke detectors should have been in the trash 15 years ago. There is a 7 yr. lifespan them.
Yes, you're quite right. We're working to update the home and the smoke detectors are on our list. I was surprised myself that they hadn't been replaced already, and even more surprised that the originals still work.

Thank you for your responses. We'll just stick with the title year.
1989 Detroiter 14x48
Greg S

Most homes have a registration plate attached to the frame. Usually on the front cross member but not always. Make, model, year etc.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Greg

I have tried finding information about the manufacturer and really can't find much. I have my doubts that they are still in business, at least as the original Detroiter. All I can seem to find is an old address and a lawsuit involving Velux.

Since it appears that the home may be a preHUD home it's anyone's guess if and where any information might be found.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
rr72

It's definitely HUD era. Has a red HUD plate on the rear of the home, but all it tells me is that an NTA inspector approved the home at the factory.

Detroiter did go out of business. Did a Michigan corporate entity lookup and found this:
Searched for: DETROITER MOBILE HOMES, INC.
ID Num: 077675
Entity Name: DETROITER MOBILE HOMES, INC.
Type of Entity: Domestic Profit Corporation
Resident Agent: JAMES A. HARRIS
Registered Office Address: 1517 VIRGINIA ST. ST. LOUIS MI 48880
Mailing Address:
Formed Under Act Number(s): 327-1931
Incorporation/Qualification Date: 6-13-1967
Jurisdiction of Origin: MICHIGAN
Number of Shares: 1,000
Year of Most Recent Annual Report: 79
Year of Most Recent Annual Report With Officers & Directors:
(from http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/bcs_corp/dt ... ES,%20INC.)

I then found this data on the "Detroiter" trademark at the US Trademark Office:
Word Mark DETROITER
Goods and Services (EXPIRED) IC 012. US 019. G & S: MOBILE HOMES. FIRST USE: 19481104. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19481104
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 72034343
Filing Date July 25, 1957
Current Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Registration Number 0662492
Registration Date June 3, 1958
Owner (REGISTRANT) DETROITER MOBILE HOMES MFG., INC. CORPORATION MICHIGAN 1517 VIRGINIA ST. ST. LOUIS MICHIGAN
(LAST LISTED OWNER) NATIONAL GYPSUM COMPANY UNKNOWN DALLAS TX
Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text SECT 15.
Renewal 1ST RENEWAL 19780603
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
(from http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f= ... 20bjen.2.7)

So it appears that while the title to our home says Detroiter, a different manufacturer with rights to the name actually made the home.

Maybe I'll go into the crawlspace to see if I can't find that registration plate on the cross member.
1989 Detroiter 14x48