questions about masonite siding and windows

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

gsimons3

We have a 1987 DW (Horton) that has the masonite siding. It has rotted it several places and has to be replaced. We are going to go with vinyl siding and are going to attempt to DIY if possible.

Anyway, my question is, will we need to take all of the masonite down in order to put up siding? I would think yes so we can see what the condition is of whatever is underneath it. Also, our roof has a very short overhang and DH thinks this is what has caused the rot of the masonite-is that possible? And if so, is there a way to create more of an overhang without doing the entire roof over since it is good shape and does not need to be replaced at this time.

Last question is about the windows. We have double storm windows that came with this DW. They are metal and framed in metal and are dark brown. I absolutely hate them! There is nothing at all structurally wrong with them but cosmetically they just get on my last nerve. I have blinds up on every window just so I don't have to look at them. My question about them is is there a way to spruce these up without replacing them? Can they be painted and can the bars (that make it look like the window is in sections-I have no idea what it is called) or whatever they are be removed to paint and then replaced or can they just be removed all together?

I hope all that makes sense and TIA for any help!
JD
Site Admin

First, have you checked to see if you can qualify for funds from the Masonite class action lawsuit? I have found conflicting information as to deadlines to file and who qualifies. I am probably just not reading it all thoroughly. But most information states homes built between 1980 and 1998. There is also something in there about a 10 year clause. It is sure worth looking into if you haven't already.
www.masoniteclaims.com/
www.hadd.com/masonite/
www.claimsourceone.com/masonite-siding-lawsuit.asp

Removing all of the siding has it's benefits, but it can also add a lot more work and expense. Depending on how much of the siding is damaged, you could just remove siding where the water damage is for inspection and repairs. (You may decide to remove all of the siding to upgrade the insulation after seeing it.) Check and repair wall and floor joist damage and fill in the missing siding with SmartSide siding from Lowe's or other home store. Cover the siding with HomeWrap or fanfold insulation board. Then installing siding, I would only nail/screw at the studs and not into the Masonite siding only.

There are a few very helpful forum members that have just recently completed installing vinyl siding and could offer some great advice. There are also several threads on vinyl siding installations that may be helpful to you. Just use the search feature above.

It would be very helpful if you could post a picture of the roof from under and over the overhang you mention. It is hard for me to comment on it without more information.

Hope this helps.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
gsimons3

We have actually looked into the class action and I was under the impression that the deadline had passed, however, I am going to check out the links you provided and see if that is not correct. When we did look into it however, it was one of those deals where it was such a difficult process it almost wasn't worth it-sounds lazy I know but I have 4 children so I don't have a lot of extra time! Anyway, we have a relative who sells siding and we can get it wholesale-although the installation will be up to us.

Anyway, thanks for your repsonse. I am going to try to take some pictures tomorrow of the roof/overhang for your inspection-thanks again!

How do I know if I have Masonite siding or not??? I live in a 1985 Moduline Double Wide built in Oregon.
JD
Site Admin

You can check with your manufacturer to see if they used Masonite. The links in my above post can be of help in identifying Masonite. Also, the siding in question will have one of the logos shown below on the back of the siding. So it would have to be removed to see the logo. Other than that, it is hard for me to tell the brand just by looking at it. As a rule of thumb, if you have rotting hardboard siding, the manufacturer has been in a class action lawsuit. Weyerhaeuser, Louisiana-Pacific, Georgia-Pacific, Smurfit, ABTCO, Masonite and some subnames of these companies have all been sued and reached settlements. It is mostly homes built between 1988 and 1998 that will qualify for some sort of payment. The amount of payment varies and is questionable. Anyways, here is the pic of the Masonite logos.

☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.