Nordyne E2EH 015HA fan will not work in auto postion

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

alleycat

Hello my blower motor will not work in auto position regardless of a/c or heat mode. Last year had to replace circuit board because it shorted out. replaced board with new wiring harness and just replaced sequencer based on hvac technician recommendation and still fan will not run on auto position. this unit has small rocker switch on front panel for auto/on operation. I have to turn that switch to on in order to get blower to come on. Please help!!
DaleM

You mention a rocker switch on a panel, is there also a Heat/Cool rocker switch on the same panel? Sounds like the blower relay is bad.
alleycat

No just the one switch on the front panel
alleycat

looks like this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
flcruising

As DaleM mentioned, it sounds like it's either the blower relay or the t-stat.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
alleycat

what relay? I dont see a relay
flcruising

Yes, it appears you don't have a relay. But also, the model number given is for a heat only unit, therefore the heat pump system (mentioned in your other post) is probably in control of the blower anyways.

You can try and check the wiring against this - http://www.nordyne.com/Literature/359a.pdf#page=15

But without literature on your heat pump unit, we can't be much more help.
DaleM

Any chance this is a multi-speed blower? Has to be one of 2 things. Quite possible the heat/ low speed winding in the motor has gone bad. By setting the fan switch to ON you are energizing the high speed winding, typically used for ac, because that is the way the switch is wired. OR there is a relay in there someplace and the heat side of it is not making contact. A relay will be a small black box about 1.5" wide, 2.5" long and about an inch thick. It will have 5-6 terminals on it, all on one side. When ac is put on a furnace you need a relay in the system so it can switch blower speeds. Normally low speed for heat and high speed for air conditioning. If multi-speed you can track the wires from the blower, see which one is currently in the system for the heat speed and change it to another one. Multi-speed blowers have either 3 or 4 speeds.
alleycat

I failed to mention the blower also does not automatically work on a/c mode either. I have to flip the switch to on for heat or a/c. any ideas?
DaleM

You any good with a multitester? You could pull the rocker switch out and test the AUTO side of it. Could be that side of the switch is cooked out.
alleycat

Yeah I tested it yesterday and I got 120 volts on every wire no matter if it was in auto or on. And I found out my blower is not multi speed. Its funny I am a auto mechanic and if this was a vehicle I would have already figured it out. When testing this rocker switch the way I understand the wiring schematic if the switch is in auto mode you will only have continuity on two terminals and if you flip it to the on mode you will have continuity on the other two. This may be wrong but not sure. Page 9 and Page 15 of the wiring schematic are what I have been looking at.
flcruising

Does the yellow wire from the fan switch connect to Sequencer #1?
DaleM

Okay I printed out page 15 of the schematic. How many wires on the switch? Switch posted has 6 terminals drawing shows 3 wires. Going from the drawing, Black lead to switch is always energized (M2 on the sequencer) and will be the fan ON side of the switch. Yellow is energized from the sequencer (M1) and will be the AUTO side of the switch and only energized when T-stat is calling for heat, meaning terminals are closed. When T-stat is closed, check for 220v between M1 and the orange blower lead (common), not a neutral but the other leg of the 220v circuit to power the blower. If only 110v, check for 110v on each, M1 to ground and orange lead to ground. If blower is not working on AUTO one of them must not have power. Frustrating I know.....hell if I was ther I'd have all this knocked out in about 10 minutes.
alleycat

My switch has three wires. One black, one yellow, and the other is yellow. I also bought a new rocker switch just to be sure. If I check between M1 and Orange wire going to blower I get 0 volts with system in heat mode.
I checked them seperately and each have 110 volts seperately. I also made sure thermostat was in heat mode.
DaleM

You should get 220v between M1 and orange when thermostat is calling for heat. Try this, kill power, take the black lead from the blower switch off of M2 and put it on M1. Set the blower switch to ON and try the furnace. That would change wiring to test sequencer, blower already works in ON position but now we will run the AUTO feature though the ON side of the switch. Heck go one step further and put the yellow wire from M1 on terminal M2. That will make the AUTO side of the switch the ON side now. Even better pull the T-stat wires off at the furnace, red and and white (heat circuit to tstat) that will take thermostat out of systen as well. Power back up, nothing should happen. Twist red and white tstat wires together, blower should come on after a shrt delay then heat cycle should start. If so, after about 5 minutes untwist red and white, furnace should back out of heat cycle, sequencer will click as it takes elements offline, and blower should shut off after about 2-3 minutes. If that doesn't work either the wiring isn't right or the sequencer is bad.