Totally lost and taken for a ride

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Candinse

:? Thanking y'all for your support in advance. I need help with this mobile home I bought.
Bought this place sight unseen (yeah, I know already) was in a bad situation and stuck 1200 miles from home. Just wanted a place to rest my head.
First off, although it was in a park, it was not set to code, therefore electric company wouldn't turn on electric. Spent 2,000 to get it re leveled and set to code. Did you know you don't even have to have FLOORS and it can still be OK with the state?? Well, turns out the frame is bent. therefore. my floors are unleveled. plus I've found soft spots. Paid someone to fix part of it(was supposed to be ALL of it) he did fix part, but took the rest of the money and ran.
Sooo, I guess my question is, would it work to completely remove the floors and replace them? Would it help to build a level frame around the perimeter of the wall and just plywood over?I really don't care if they are a little wavy, but this feels like a roller coaster! I've been trying to live with it until it settles into it's final shape(has changed pattern quite a bit since it got partially re leveled) I've got a feeling that I'm not going to be bored for a long time here.
JD
Site Admin

I would say the first thing to do is to find out what caused the damage and make sure that has been taken care of. Then, only use licensed contractors and do not pay anyone in advance. All states will have a maximum deposit amount. Here in California it is 10%, including all labor and materials.

When repairing floors, you should pull remove the damaged subflooring, block and frame the perimeter of the repair area where there isn't a floor joist and replace the particle board with 3/4" plywood.

Ask mobile home owners in your area for referrals of good contractors. Mobile home park managers may have a list of good contractors and would be willing to give you recommendations even if you don't live in their park. I feel bad for you, being taken by unscrupulous repair people.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Candinse

Unfortunately I know what caused the floor buckling. First, it's an older trailer, shouldn't have been moved. frame got bent, badly...can't fix it.
So I have to work around it. Is it feasible to frame out OVER the existing floor?
PennylessZ28

perhaps move? Might be cheaper.
troyster

The problem with what Mike said is that this problem home would get dumped onto someone else and you would probably have a hard time selling the home and possibly lose a substantial amount of money on it. I am working on a home right now where a senior 2 months away from pension got taken in on a nightmare of a home. she trusted the person and was taken for a ride. The home will be rebuilt for under 5 grand. She paid 8 grand for it and if she were to sell it in the condition it was in she would have only got $1500-3000 for it tops. she will have 13000 total in the home when finished which will be soon and the home will be worth 12000-14000 for a comparable home in this neighbourhood. If she were to sell it she could break even rather then lose and the next person would get a solid home. Dumping a piece of crap home on an unsuspecting and trusting person is total B.S
Maureen

LOL, but...at the same time, very well said Troy! A Lot of our users do get stuck in a situation that they didn't bargain for! It's happened to all of to one extreme or the other.

Mike, moving is not something all of us can do. We aren't all young'ens that have time and money on our side. You have to consider everyone's situation.

Candinse, I can't say whether you can fix around a bent frame. In my experience, once the frame is bent, it's pretty difficult. It's time to hire a pro.

Heed JD's advice!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'