Storm door installation/replacement

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

crackur

Ok I am in the process of replacing my storm door with one I bought from lowes. I measured and its the 36x81 like the door I bought.

However, I'm confused or at a roadblock. I took the door off and then I noticed the door I bought had its on metal pieces I screw in the frame to fit and not what it left in the door. So I unscrew the storm door frame and try it pull it out and realize that the entire frame is coming out ?(the part for the house door too and I can see inside the wall when I pull.

There has to be a way for it to be fixed but I'm just at a roadblock. Maybe I'm not doing something right or maybe I can't do it.

Its a manufactured home........... and the new storm is one of those quick installation Pella doors that you can turn either way for a quick installation.
HouseMedic

Did you take off the brick mold trim from the main door? If so this is not suppose to come off. If you could maybe show us a picture we could make a better solution.

Ron
crackur

don't mind the mess trying to get halloween stuff out haha

hinges where the old storm door were attached too

the new pella quick installation door (not very quick at all with me lol)
it has its own kit to attach to the frame.....as the photo shows it has its on hinges etc

they are some more pieces in the box........this door has the two hydraulic system on top and bottom when put together.
HouseMedic

I still can't make it out that good but you will have to take off all of the old white aluminum trim from the old storm door first. If you just take out the screws from both sides and the top that are shown in the second picture down and there might be a few on the inner part of the white trim the old storm door frame should be the only parts that come loose. If the main door jam comes loose then it is installed completely different them most exterior doors and I would not know what to tell you. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Ron
crackur

HouseMedic wrote:I still can't make it out that good but you will have to take off all of the old white aluminum trim from the old storm door first. If you just take out the screws from both sides and the top that are shown in the second picture down and there might be a few on the inner part of the white trim the old storm door frame should be the only parts that come loose. If the main door jam comes loose then it is installed completely different them most exterior doors and I would not know what to tell you. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Ron
ok when I take out that aluminum trim (tried this yesterday and thats what got me confused.) it pulls all of it out! However, I did not unscrew the middle screws that is pictured in the black middle strip there so maybe if I did that the rest would have stayed in and then I could have just screwed it back in

Not sure but I could try and see what happens....
Greg

I think Ron is right, get all of the old door stuff off, hinges, latch and trim. Start fresh with just the jams.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
crackur

ok there was two screws that connected the trim to the door and I was able to pull it loose to see that it came off......had to run to see some family so I will try again in the morning.

The kit that came with the new door has a piece for the header and it has to be shimmed if its over 1/4" and I believe that it is.....so that should be fun since I'm very green with this stuff haha.

I will try to post a pic or two along the way when I am stumped or in trouble LOL!
crackur

Greg wrote:I think Ron is right, get all of the old door stuff off, hinges, latch and trim. Start fresh with just the jams.

Greg
this is what I have done since then. After taking it all off, I have found the jam itself was not even screwed to the house/frame. It just moved back and forth. However, it was completely level :shock: I shimmed it up and secured it to the house and now it doesn't move at all.....

I recently went and bought some weather strips and some casing and framed the door since it did not have no frame around it after the trim came off.

Its been cold and rainy around here like today as well but I'm going to try and work on it this evening when I get home.

I should only have to attached the frame header and then put up the new storm door.

Wish me luck and I'll post pics if I can.
HouseMedic

It sounds like you are on the right track. If you got brick mold trim ( what you see on most exterior doors) for the outside make sure you set if back about 3/8 to 1/4" from the edge of the door frame. That way the storm door trim will fit properly. This video might help you some.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7ZTjn4C ... re=related
You can also search for a video on brickmold if you need info on that.
Ron