roof coating question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mickeyb

Need to seal my MH roof. Its the original roof (metal?) that came on this 1995 single wide. Will be getting the sealer at Lowes. These are my choices-

BLACK JACK 4.75 Gallon Roof-Gard 700 7-Year White Elastomeric Roof Coating
OR
BLACK JACK 4.75 Gallon Silver Seal 300 Fibered Aluminum Roof Coating
Which do I choose?
And how clean do I have to get the roof before I apply?
And how much weight will the roof hold, as far as standing on it to do this.
Roller or broom?
Thanks!
Greg

Hi & welcome. I prefer the white, BUT check the instructions and make sure that is compatible with any coatings on your roof now. I rolled ours on. Clean per instructions on the can. You should be OK weight wise if you stay on the trusses, but with a roller you could work from a ladder.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mickeyb

Thanks Greg!
cptmorgan70

I have found myself currently unemployed...I own 2 trailers and have doon repair work to several over the years..I currently live next door to a mobile home park where several elderly people reside. I have been asked to do hanndyman work several times and everyone is satisfied with my work and the end results. I try to keep the prices fair and low. I would not charge ...But I DO NEED the $$$$. I have 2 potential customers that need their roofs "Cool Sealed" and they can afford to payme . My question is what is the going rate per sqft for the appication process. They are going to purchase the sealant. Any help would be appreciated.
rookie35

I prefer the white also, it is cool to touch in the summer and it probably helps with the electric bill for air conditioner. It goes on fast just like painting but even faster because no worries about spills, drips and etc... Can do two coats easily on nice hot day. You probably could do 2 - 3 mobile homes in one day. First coat 1 home then 1st coat the next and then come back to first home for second coat. I like at least two coats.