Wanting light

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

lowensp

I have a living room in my house that has no lights (or fixtures). I want to add either a ceiling fan or something along those lines because in the evening it is really dark in that part of the house. How can I find out if my cieling to roof space is enough to put one in. I know I will have to run wires and such but just didn't want alot of holes in the cieling trying to discover depth...
Greg

Your bes bet is to buy Mark's book, he wrote it in a generic manner, but there is a lot of information that covers about everything you may run into. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi, and Welcome to the site.

I do agree with Greg on getting the book, it's very helpful in many ways.

As for determining the distance between finished ceiling and roof you should have enough. Without a light already there, it's really difficult to fish the wire thru the ceiling and down into the walls.

If I am not mistaken someone else just went thru this. If you use the search feature you should be able to find the thread that contains the info. If not we can certainly help further.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Brenda (OH)

easy answer??...

put up one of those pretty hanging lights with the chain wrapped in a cord that hang off of a hook. and perhaps get one of those ~$25 tall skinny column fans that take up little floor space, and oscillate. some of the fans even come with a remote control....

of course, my hanging lamp has flowers on the glass shade, and no kids to throw toys and knock it off, so it works for me.... lol

Brenda

(electric wires are still pretty scary for me... now, installing windows, no biggie...)
Harry

Hi

Here's some help on the ceiling to fan clearance question.

http://www.hunterfan.com/pages/how_to_select.php

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?