What type & gauge of metal roof panels?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ColoradoGirl42

I bought Mark Bower's book so that I could get the information on the DYI metal re-roof; great info! I still have a question, though: what gauge should the metal be? and there appear to be several different kinds of metal panels; which type would be the best?

Thanks!
JD
Site Admin

26ga panels are an excellent choice. But if you follow the suggestions in Mark's book, you could go down to 22ga panels because the panels should be fully supported underneath. As a minimum, you should be using 1x4 furring strip lathing. Personally, I would go 1" foam panels with the 3/4" 1x4 wood. This will help you not create an uplift at the edge of the roof.

The "best" panel, in my opinion, would be a standing seam - hidden fastener type panel. No holes, no leaks. These types of panels can get pricey. The standard roof panels you see on metal buildings are a "face nail" type panel, where you will see screws going down through the ribs every 16" to 24" o.c.. The images below show a standard type panel and standing rib type panels. Note that some hidden fastener roof systems will still have face nailed fasteners at the eave and ridge areas, just not down the full length of the panels.

The important part of your purchase will be buying from a supplier that has roof accessories and will support you with instructions on how to install them. Laying the panels will be the easy part, using anyone's panels. Dealing with heat vents, plumbing vents and swamp coolers (for some climates) will be the weak link. You want to be sure that your supplier has every protrusion jack you'll need as well as ridge cap and eave trim.

JMO
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
ColoradoGirl42

Thanks, JD! I REALLY appreciate all the detailed advice; I'm very new to all this. I'll loof for a GOOD supplier.