Odd Plumbing Problem

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

JimCNY

The other nite the wife let the water out of the kitchen sink,and the water in the toilet bowl emptied. Last nite after the kid took a bath she drained the tub and the bowl emptied again. We have been here 22 years and this is a first. We are on a septic and it was pumped last year. Any Ideas?
Greg

I would take a look at the vents, It sounds like there is one or more that is plugged.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JimCNY

I don't see anything in the stacks on the roof ,could it be farther down inside the vent stack?
Greg

Do you have check valve type vents under the counter? They are notorious for going bad.

Greg
JimCNY

No check valve vents, kitchen and bath were remodeled six year ago.
Greg

I wonder if they did have them. Our's is about the same vintage and does have the under the counter vents. It almost sounds to me like there is a vacuum being created that is pulling the water out of the bowl.

Is there a capped "T" above the traps under the counter ? If so I would bet that it did have vents there.

Greg
JimCNY

I ended up running a snake down the roof stacks. There didn't seem to be anything in them, but everything is back to normal. Thanks Greg.
DaveyB

Not exactly on topic, but I just remembered, when I first came to the US and was stuck with a plumbing blockage, I asked around in several stores where I could get something to unplug it, and kept getting blank stares when I asked for the item using the British slang of "trained worm". I ended up having to describe it before they figured I meant a "snake"!

I still think the UK version sounds quainter! (^-^)
╔═╗
║T║HINK
╚═╝