General repair stuff

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

SusanC

I have been living in this home for 7 yrs. It is a 2003 Clayton. First, can anyone tell me what kind of studs are on interior walls. Are they just thin wood strips or standard? Next, why are my tub and shower turning yellow and is there any way to restore them? My second bath had a leak around the toilet and the floor is soft now. Can I just replace the bad section or will I need to redo the whole room? I guess that's it for starters. I am recently on my own and need to find out just how much I can do by myself and what I might have to hire out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Greg

Hi & welcome. In a home that new I would guess (and that is just what it is) since it is a HUD certified home the interior studs would be either 2x4 or possibly 2x3. If you measure the width of a door jam on an interior wall that should give you a better idea.

Some times you can find cleaners that will remove the yellow, it could be a rust stain from hard water or iron pipes in the ground.

Floors, you can repair sections, use plywood or at minimum OSB for repairs. Replacing subfloor is not a hard job, but does take time. You can do a search here, it has been the topic of many posts.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
slk_ms

Susan that is why I came to the board today! My tub and part of my shower base has turned yellow as well. After talking to a friend of mine who is having the same problem, I pretty much have come to the conclusion that it is due to sunlight from the window in my bathroom. As usual, it started out with me looking for vinyl flooring for my bathroom 'til I noticed that my tub has REALLY turned an ugly yellow. Why does one project have to grow from something simple to something major (new tub) lol!!!
Greg

Welcome to world of Mobile Home repairs!!! :lol:

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
SusanC

Ugly I can live with. There are a whole lot of other repairs that need to come first. First is the shower door. It sags to the point of catching on the lower frame. I watched th video on how to fix, but discovered my door has only 2 screws in the frame. Iwent forward with the attempted repair as per instructions, but when I take the support away from the door it just sags down again. Ideas? Help!