Welding to frame?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Mark440

I have an odd situation with my AC compressor unit. It sits smack in the path of where I need to make a means for excess water to channeled away from the house. I was going to pour a new slab then have the local AC company move it the 7 feet and do up all the connections. Then I got their quote! YEEEOOWWW! I would have figured $350-400...but the quotes were double and triple that! :cry:

So my question is this: is it completely taboo to have a steel structure welded directly to the main frame of the house? That chunk of I-beam is easily accessible, the height is perfect, and I figure the standard "triangle" construction would provide rigidity and strength. There would be no support from the ground - just the frame welds. I just don't know if its ok attaching anything to the frame.

I figure the compressor unit weighs < 100 lbs..and the distance from the frame to the outside edge would be about 5 feet. My concern is that this would eventually cause the frame to twist, the unit would then slide off the "platform", roll down the hill, and I'd have an even bigger mess.
Opportunity has a shelf life.
Greg

You would most likely be OK if you support the end, but I would be concerned about a free standing unit. If you do the math, 100lbs @ 5' is 500 ft lbs of torque on the frame I would about guarantee the frame twists.

Is there a way to do a cantilever type support?

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
150baker

You will feel the vibration from the compressor to the metal frame into the house
1987Commodore

I hadn't thought of that aspect. Also, the noise will come through. Bad idea all around.
flcruising

Does the condenser have to move? Assuming it now sits on the ground, what if you build a temporary platform and elevate it a foot or so to perform the necessary work? Usually there's enough play in the linesets and all for wiggle room.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Mark440

Well, being 150baker supplied the necessary insight to fully kill my welding aspirations...:) and I'd have been kickin my own butt for years to come every time the unit came on .....

It does look like there is enough slack in the lines to move it a little - and also allow me to pivot the entire unit from the connection corner. With that, I can construct a new and adjacent platform the same height as the existing and hopefully just pivot the unit over. I have some concerns about the lines and the degree of bend - but it does appear there is enough play to allow it all to work.

Only big obstacle right now is this texas heat. One little screw up and I could be without AC for a few days.

And thank you all for the excellent input and advice!!!
Opportunity has a shelf life.