plumbing question ??

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

Hello everyone have been lurking but now have a question. I have gutted the inside of our 2 bdrm 1 1/2 bath 1973 14 x 70 trailer. We are converting it into one bedroom one large master bath. Have moved the kitchen from the middle of the trailer to the east end of trailer. We are completely replumbing and rewiring it. New windows and doors. We live in the Texas panhandle.
The trailer is level accept for one part will get to that in the next post. I am going back with coppper pipes. Drains pvc. I do no want to open the bottom of this trailer it has been sealed with some sort of spray on foam insulation.So I will be going below joist with the drains and piping. My water line coming in from the well house is 3/4 or galvanized pipe. The question is when it comes up under the house it is 3/4 galv pipe and then they tied on to it with 1/2 copper and ran 14' to the other side of trailer to HWH and then back to 3/4 galv to the hot water heater and then thru out the trailer at 3/4 galv. Is that right?? Any way I think I will tie onto the 3/4 galv where it comes up under with the house and then go 3/4 copper to HWH and then go 1/2" copper up to sinks and tubs. Does this make more sense.
Thanks in advance.
Rob
archive

Rob, Welcome to the forum. Most supply lines that I have seen run 3/4" into the home, usually at the HWH and then split to 1/2" for the rest of the home at the heater. Now if you have anything that uses a large amout of water, like a hot tub or large Jaccuzi you may want to run 3/4" to that. I'm a big fan of copper, but in a mobile home PEX is the way to go. cost is about the same as copper, plus PEX is much more forgiving if you have any freezing weather. Greg
archive

Hi Ruf,

Wanted to welcome you to the forum. Hopefully you have seen the post that starting next week we will have a new forum...please follow us there when this happens.

I can not tell you what is right or wrong with your plumbing , but I know our home is plumbed with 1/2". Folks around here recommend pex as the plumbing lines of choice, real easy to work with.

Hang on, some one in the know will answer your questions completely.

On a side note I would be interested in seeing a pic of what this spray stuff is under your home. If you have pic capabilities could you post one.

Again, welcome,

~Yanita~
archive

Hi Rob,

I agree with Greg. 3/4 to the WH and 1/2 through the home. Nothing particularly wrong with copper, but I prefer PEx for it's flexibility and better performance in freezing temps. I would also stay with 3/4 galvanized all the way to the flex at the water heater. Just last week we repaired a copper line under a home that had pitted through. Just my thoughts.

JD
archive

Thank yall for the replies
Will go with the pex. Will try and get a pic of the insulation up. Thanx again