Window replacement-tricks for mobile homes?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Greg

OK windows are done, Now how much can you save with more insulation or insulated skirting??

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mark440

Greg - dang - you're killin me!

The skirting is next....and a MAJOR undertaking to boot.

This place is mounted into the a gently sloping terrain. However, the fools who put it here - were either crazy or not too bright - or both! :)

All of the skirting now is the plastic stuff. The skirting on the east and south sides are fully blocked in by decking, so it would be a project that would have to be done above and below the deck. That's not too much of a problem as this year I plan on replacing all of the deck boards anyway. It's just a whole lot of decking!! (44' down the front side and then wrap around 28' on the other)

The west and north sides are mostly buried with dirt - in some places within a couple inches of the top of the skirting. Yep - buried. "Lovely!" is only one of the expressions....

On the west side, the dirt has started to move a bit and is now caving in the plastic skirting - which they reinforced on the back side with some very cheap lumber. So, I have to address the problem pretty quickly.

So, the project on the west and north will entail creating a multiple layered tier that will not only hold the dirt in place - but also create a means to un-cover all of the skirting. Unfortunately, the full length of the first tier would have to cut smack across the front yard area - and would be nearly 80 feet long. A second tier would follow the same path and be the same length. If I use three layers on each tier - it would drop the elevation a full two feet. (Of course there are bushes to rip out, A/C unit to move, water pipes to watch out for, etc, etc, etc)

And while I do have a small tractor - it only has a front end loader. A small backhoe would save alot of back and head ache. But, at $250 a day to rent one......ouch! 'Course - it might hurt a bit more if the dirt pushes this place of its piers! LOL!

Even then, I have some concerns about just using skirting. Are there other materials that would work well to provide a barrier both physically and thermally? I thought about railroad ties - or even treated decking lumber - but that becomes a challenge physically to create the support structure, and cosmetically to keep happiness in the home! :)
Opportunity has a shelf life.
Greg

I am a fan of steel. Mark did his a few years back, I finished ours last fall. Not hard to do, and it is strong. I used 2" foam insulation behind it. It seems warmer, but it may be wishful thinking also. One thing I do know for sure, NO critters!!! Greg
CDG

Has anybody use the concrete board that looks like stucco from Home Depot....It is 6'x4' and cost 25 dollars per sheet.....
Greg

I know a few here were going to try it. I don't recall hearing anything more on it. Greg
Mark440

Greg-
How did you secure the foam to the steel?
Opportunity has a shelf life.
Greg

You can glue it, or the way I did ours was cut it and wedged it into place, taped the seams.

I found a GREAT buy on craig's list I found a guy that had 1000s of 4x8 sheets of 2" yellow foam (higher R value that the white or blue) for $5./sheet.

It really doesn't have to be super secure, there really shouldn't be much movement under there to knock them loose.

Greg
CDG

I am not a window guy. But I got a window from Home Depot a new construction that does not have a J channel built in....Does the window fit flash against the ext wall/Tar/window seal paper, than place the J-channel around that....