ignition problem ?

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Cheryl DeWitt

Ok hope you can help. My furnace is a coleman propane furnace.DGAT056BDC BTU 56000
The starter fan comes on fine i hear a click from the Ignition Module and see the glowing of the elec. pilot then it clicks again and goes out. The clicking sounds as if it is coming from the module. Sometimes it does go on and cycle like it should and sometimes nothing.Anyhelp please?
Thanks
gordo48111

Cheryl,

One question for you so that Robert, the moderator here, will have as much info as possible. When you say you hear a click at times then the ignitor goes off, is there no burner ignition at all or does it light and then go off? It would help if you had a voltmeter to check for 24VAC across the gas valve terminals when the ignitor goes off.
"Man...that blowed up real good!"
Cheryl DeWitt

No the burner does not start. Just the ignitor goes back off. Then in a few minutes it will click again and light again and this time maybe it will stay lite and go on and cycle..then its fine again maybe do fine for a few times then will maybe do it again.Sorry as I'm not a furnace person.But trying to explane the best i can. You did help me with a relay problem last year and i did fine fixing it.But the clicking noise does sound like its coming from the Ignition Module i have tapped on it at times when it would keep clicking and it would stop and go on and stay lite and cycle.
Thanks
gordo48111

Can you check for 24VAC at the gas valve terminals when the ignitor goes off?
Cheryl DeWitt

no sorry dont know how
gordo48111

There's no way to be certain what the problem is without checking for 24VAC at the gas valve for starters when the ignitor goes off. It wouldn't hurt to check that there are no loose wiring connections in the control circuit (thermostat included) and if per chance you have a battery operated thermostat, check the batteries. My educated guess would be that the control board is the culprit. A gas valve or thermostat generally will not operate sometimes, while other times not, but it is possible. Maybe you know someone that has a voltmeter and can check power at the gas valve for you. You can also pick up a very basic inexpensive one at most any hardware store or even Radio Shack.I find Home Depot prices are higher most of the time but you will probably find one there as well. If you're a homeowner it's a good idea to have one anyway.
Robert

Could be a bad ignition module, bad ignitor, bad remote flame sensor, bad gas valve to name a few.

Will need a volt meter in order to know which is bad. Could also be a loose wire.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Cheryl DeWitt

the thing would not kick on several times today ..I went in and touch the Ignition Module and it comes on.It will click and go on and cycle. Just a little presure on it and it takes right off.
Robert

Can give you ordering info for a new ignition module if you wish. That may or may not resolve the issue.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Cheryl DeWitt

please do. guess i have to start someplace. i can use my discover card right?
gordo48111

As Robert said, did you check all the connections for a possible loose wire?
Robert

Hi,

Ignition Module # 1474 - 0061/A can be seen and ordered from here by paging down :

http://www.aberdeenhomerepair.com/store ... ion-module

Thanks,
Robert