Best Caulk for Sealing Exterior Seams??

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Dave1

We have an older park model trailer (1989) and some of the exterior sheet metal seams have cracked with age and movement. I want to go over the entire unit and caulk/seal everything to prevent leaks. What is the best type of caulk to use for such an application?

We are in Florida where there can be a significant temperture swing from day/night. Contraction and expansion of the home and materials would probably dictate the need for a flexible type caulk.

3M 5200 is undoubedly the strongest marine grade caulk/sealant but is not very flexible and cannot be removed later.

What do you suggest?

Thanks, Dave
Brenda (OH)

you might look at the geocel caulks... flexible, paintable, not removable though.... they have a website. I have used the clear one around windows, it seems strong.

why would you want to be able to remove the caulk?

Brenda (OH)
flcruising

White Lightening is my caulk of choice. I purchase at Lowe's.

If the gaps you're filling are over about 3/8-1/2" in width, push some foam backer rod into the joint before caulking.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Dean3

I would use an acrylic/silicone blend that is also paintable and rated for outdoor use. Whatever you do don't use some $1 per tube "painter's caulk",that stuff is usually just a cheap latex that dries hard and cracks 1st chance it gets. Seems like every year they come up with something better though,my idea might be out of date.