plumbing question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

buckmaster27012

have a sewage gas smell coming out of one of the vents on top of the house. it doesnt happen all the time, just sometime when washing clothes and take a shower in the near bathroom? any suggestions on what to do to try to fix the problem? thanks
JD
Site Admin

I have never had to work on that particular problem, but I know there are vent filters specifically for that situation. There are mechanical ones that basically works like the Air Admittance Valve we find under kitchen sinks sometimes. It allows the vent system to suck air in, but not push air out. There are also charcoal filters made for this problem. Doing a quick Google search on these filters brought up this product.
http://www.spotfree.net/sweetfaq.html
It might be a good way to go. At least it heads you in the right direction.

Again, I have no personal experience with this problem.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

Are you talking about the vents that go through the roof? Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
buckmaster27012

yea talking about the vent that goes through the roof. but it also can be strong at time under the sink in the kitchen. i think one of those vent that was previously mentioned is found under the sink
Greg

It sounds like the vents are working, If your drains are working correctly (not sluggish or gurgling). I would suspect that that possibly weather or wind may be a factor.

You could try running a snake down the vents. If you have a ground vent somewhere in the system I would check that also. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Rod

The vent under your sink is most likely a Oatey Sure Vent. When they go bad the allow the water to drain with no problem but also allow the sewer gases/odor to escape.

You should be able to find replacements at a local plubing supply house or a good hardware store.

These are cheap and if this is your problem it will be a quick & easy fix.
Sure vent.jpg
Good Luck

Rod
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.