Which rain gutter style?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lorne

We are plagued by Hickory nuts that range from the size of marbles up to the golf ball size, plus chewed up shells from squirrels.
Then there are the twigs and leaves.

Any experience with this style?
I see there is a style of rain gutter where the water follows the curve of the top of the gutter and flows into the gutter and everything else just roles off and doesn't block the water from the trough.

Then there is the standard style, but you have to add a screen over the gutter to keep the stuff out.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Yanita

Hi,

I am not familiar with one style that you mention. The ones that require the screen also require alot of maintenance. In my experience debris gets caught on top of the screening. A hard rain can cause the water to back up.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Old Spam Can

The gutter style you describe is also advertised here in the notheast with great sucess. It is sold as "Gutter Helmet." You can find it on any search engine. The do work!
Lorne

We have a home show at the convention center on Friday and they will probably has a booth there. I check out the Gutter Helmut.
Thanks.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Greg

There are gutter companies that do come to your home and install them. They have been advertising hard here and the name just does not come to me. if I see one of their commercials I let you know. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Robert

Here it is :

http://www.gutterhelmet.com/how_it_works.cfm

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Lorne

Thanks for the link. I see that it goes over your existing gutter so that is added expense.
I saw a type that has a Sponge type material that is stuffed into the gutter to keep stuff out. Also grills and grate styles.

If they would install a section of the Gutter Helmut free to test then I might believe it. "surface Tension"?, well maybe. I did try it on a glass of water like they show in the video, but a gutter has water flowing over only one side, not both side as around a glass.

We will see.

Another idea would be to fabricate a "J" shaped Tube extension for my leaf blower and blow out the gutters. MAD INVENTOR at heart.
Greg

Why fabricate one, Sears has them. Greg
Robert

Been blowing out our gutters with a leaf blower and regular straight tube for a couple of years now, no problem at all.

Also. using the J extension from below will get real messy, real quick like for the person doing it.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Last edited by Robert on Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Juice

I have never seen a gutter guard that works 100%, and I install gutter guards as a side business. I always tell people that a good gutter guard will help but it won't fix the problem, you will always have to have the gutter cleaned once in awhile.

But that is one of the nice things about living in a mobile home, it's easier to take care of. Cleaning the gutters only takes an hour (and I'm talking about a real cleaning. Remove junk then a wash down. You can do simpler cleaning even faster.)

Juice
Yanita

Hi Juice,

I second everything you said! Maintenance is required/needed regardless of what the system.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hi

My neighbor has those screens over his gutters and he spends as much time cleaning gutters as I do with no screens.

I use a ladder and and a water hose.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
johnlk

Im having a roof over done soon and the contrator told me No rain gutters on a mobile home.Nothing but problems?Whats your take.
Greg

I don't think they have any more problems than a stick built home - IF they are installed correctly. Greg
Lorne

johnlk wrote:Im having a roof over done soon and the contrator told me No rain gutters on a mobile home.Nothing but problems?Whats your take.
In our case 20+ years of "No Rain Gutter" has rotted out the decorative wood panels under each window which lead to the rotting out of the joists at the base of each wall at the floor.

Gutters also direct water away from the house and away from the foundation area and/or Skirting tracks.

After researching the Internet for gutter types and screen types it seems that the simplest and least expensive covers are fine.
Just something to keep the big stuff (Hickory Nuts & Twigs) out of the gutter.

All I'm needing is One 40 ft and 2-10ft sections with down spouts, so I'm calling around for cheap appraisals. Can get up there myself.