New roof

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

johnlk

I have a 1987 zimmer 14x70 that i use for summer vacations.The roof is pitched with a metal skin.So far no leaks but looking long term was considering a roof over.I was just getting ready to order marks book to see if this is something i could handle.In the mean time i called some contractors to get some prices and here is what im told.The one guy said Never put the metal roof over as mark has shown,his reason was the rafters are 2x2 and there are wires everywere and you could hit a wire?Sounds possible?He recomends the rainbow roof over system.And its not cheap.My questions is can this metal roof over be done without the worry of other problems or is this guy just trying to get my bussiness.Any help woud be welcomed.
Greg

Hi & welcome. Let's see now, you should NOT use Mark's system because it is too much weight on 2x2 rafters (you should have a truss system) BUT, his system (on the same rafters) would be fine?? AND it costs more as a bonus!!

I am no expert, but I can smell fish!! I would contact an other contractor that has done Mobile home roofs.

I am sure JD will add to this as well. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
johnlk

I believe he was trying to say that there are all kinds of wires connected to the roof and you could miss with the screws and hit wires?his system only connects to the perimeter of the home.has nyone done one and whats your take?
JD
Site Admin

Is that contractor trying to sell you his product? Yeah, probably. In fact there are many roof systems that weigh less than the metal roof described in Mark's book. But I think the roof in Mark's book is light enough to install on any roof that is stable enough for a roof system. It is adding actual framing, plywood and shingles that is too much weight for most mobile home roofs. Even using aluminum instead of shingles is probably too much weight with the wood.

Mark's system is basically 1x4s laid flat on 24" centers with a vapor barrier and some type of corrugated metal skin. I imagine that would work out to less than 1.5 LBS / SF. Pretty light as roof solutions go. I sell a roof that is less than .5 / SF, but it is pretty pricey. I still feel it is the best value in mobile home roofing, but the price point will deter many customers.

I have not found wiring near the roof deck to ever be a problem and I have never seen wires attached to the tops of trusses or rafters. Not saying that would never happen, but I have never seen it. I would however do the math and not use screws longer than the thickness of the materials you are attaching together.

My premium insulated roof is lag bolted down at the top plate of exterior walls and ridge marriage beams, in the case of double wides. No fasteners in the field, or middle of the roof. I think this is a good way to go, but certainly not the only way.

Is there a web site showing this Rainbow Roof? Do you have a brochure you can scan and email to me? You can use the email button below.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
johnlk

Its made by madden corp.Just type in rainbow roof over systems and you will find it.or type in madden corperation.How expensive is the system you sell?Could i use 2x3 as perlins and use a wider insultion on marks system?
JD
Site Admin

The material costs for my roof product is about the same as the Rainbow Roof product, as per Steve @ Madden.

Whether you could use any roof system legally would depend on it's ability to get a permit. The Madden product would have pre-approved plans or at least you could use the plans from their approved states to get a permit for your area. When building a roof with your own design from common materials, There could be a lot of engineering requirements, depending on the planning office. Sometimes, a detailed rough drawing will be enough to get a permit. You need to show details of attachments and details of all materials, fasteners and sealants used and their placement.

If you did use 2x3s, I would use ripped 2x6 lumber. The 2x3s in my local home stores are all made from ungraded "white wood".

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
johnlk

Im confused.These roof over systems are designed for mobile homes?Why would you not be allowed to put one on?Why would i need a permit?Does the rainbow roof over look like a good product?If its energy star rated dont they qualify for the tax break of 30%?
Greg

They may be designed for mobile homes, but is the home built to support it?

In the mid 80's HUD became involved in the manufacturing standards of mobile homes. prior to that there simply were none. Some manufacturers used just the minimum stud size to hold the roof up, others did more. There are different load rating options for roofs as well.

Permit standards vary by locations, some areas simply ask what you want to do, and have a good day. Others want detailed plans, colors and your great grandmothers madin name. Check with your local officals for their requirements. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Hi John,

Sorry for the confusion. I am pretty sure that you can install the Rainbow Roof just about anywhere in the US, as long as you can get the product in or to your state. I am sure Madden Mfg. has the drawings and details available to be able to draw a permit. From looking at their web site, I think it is a fine roof system. I have not seen one in person, but I like this design for a non-laminated roof. If I were to install one, I might want to use Ice & Water Shield along the eaves edges due to the way the trim piece is attached. I tried to find their web site again to double check, but when I put "madden mfg rainbow roofs" in Google, it did not show up in the first 3 pages of results. There is something definitely wrong with the way the internet has commercialized. I might check it out later though.

It is when you install a roof of 'your own" design (the roof in Marks manual), using common building materials, that you could come under more scrutiny when applying for a permit. An engineered product like the Rainbow Roof has gone through the permit process enough times to work out any glitches for most planning offices. A DIY roof like the one in Marks book is like an original plan each time the planning office sees one. That being said, I know that most mobile home roofs are installed without a permit, DIY or otherwise. I would not know how strict your area is on the permit requirement. I do know that if a person installs a roof that would be denied a permit if applied for, could be a major PIA if a building inspector tells you to take it off. If you installed a roof that would pass inspection and could be approved for a permit, you would usually only have to buy the permit, pay a small fine, and survive a big hairy eyeball from the building inspector.

I hope this helps.
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!