tub questions

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

NMarie

The tub is a 54 x 27, metal with top coat. It has a metal front panel below the rim of the tub. This panel is rusting. Someone has attempted to repair the rust areas, but been unsuccessful.

So, how can I tell if this panel comes off and can be replaced? If it cannot be I will probably replace the tub. If I replace the tub I was wondering about the current tub surround. It looks like a particle board with a waterproof surface. I has grey plastic strips at the base and metal strips going up the wall in the corners. Will I need to remove this material (want to anyway to get rid of the ugly metal strips)? And If I remove it, does anyone have suggestions for a material to replace it with It extends to the ceiling.

Thank you for any suggestions.
JD
Site Admin

If you have the inclination to replace the tub, that would probably be your best bet. When these tubs start rusting, it is a forever battle. The rust could be treated and a new finish sprayed on, like Bath Crest and other refinishers. This works on metal tubs best, but it does not last as long as a tub. A new tub, metal or fiberglass will give you the longest results. Lasco has great fiberglass tubs that are 27x54. These are available from many mobile home supply places.

I don't know of inexpensive panels that will go to the ceiling. 4x8 panels, like your masonite panel will reach the ceiling, but will require a "H" trim to join panels at the 48" mark. Ugly. There used to be wide masonite bath panels, but even they were just 60" tall. I used to get them from Home Depot years ago. Maybe they are still available special order, I dunno. You could order extra wide Wilsonart or Formica panels, but they will be pretty expensive. Calling the seamless shower wall people in your area would be a better bet. Of course, there is always Corain and other solid surface products. Just bring money. When I replace a bath or shower unit, I often remove all of the wall panel and install new masonite panels or sheetrock, then install the fiberglass or ABS tub surrounds on the new walls. I used to use greenboard and paint with Kilz and SW Duration paint. But for years now I have been using the Ame's Research primer and paint. It is made with the same technology as their roof coatings and works excellent.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
NMarie

Thanks for the info JD. Do you mean that you use regular drywall and the Ames Research primer and paint? Where do you get the Ames?
JD
Site Admin

You would need to use a wet area approved wallboard, usually called "greenboard". This is an inexpensive sheetrock product. I would treat the entire wall this way, but it is mainly to protect the area above a standard tub enclosure, usually 74 to 78 inches up the wall.

There are superior greenboard alternatives like Durock and Wonderboard. You could try this stuff, but I find it harder to work with. It can be difficult to bury the screw heads without breaking off the screw head or tearing the protective sheet of the board, especially in old wood. I guess they now have special screws for this type of board, but it is still hard to screw without tearing the protective film. JMO

Ame's Research Paint & Prime® 25 Year is available from the factory at
http://www.amesresearch.com/paint.htm#pp25

Paint & Prime is different than the SuperPrimer product I talk about often on this forum. Paint & Prime is a true paint product, better than any I have seen for water protection. SuperPrimer is even better, but it does not roll on smooth like paint. Kind of a rough texture and not controllable enough to actually use for texture. Well, I am sure you could use it if you were creative, like blotting it or something. But the Prime & Paint will work very well and easier to use.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.