Replacing Skirting and Wood it attaches too

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Javrixx

Hello,

I took over this mobile home from my Mom and I'm having a bit of a problem. The skirting can no longer stay attached to the home. I'm basically forcing it on the house with a ladder right now. Years of watering her grass has rotted the wood the top of the skirting attached to and now I have no idea on how to repair it. I can't find anything online and I can't even find any local repair places for mobile homes.

I'll post pics in a few moments. How does one find a repair place to fix these kinds of things?
Javrixx

Here are some pics. Any advice or info on how to repair this?

{Moderator - The pictures uploaded from imageshack.com were too large for this forum page. Pictures are limited to 550x300 pixels. The pictures below have been resized. You can add a link to your full sized images, but not the pictures themselves. Thank you for your cooperation.}

JD
Site Admin

What city or area do you live in? Maybe one of the forum members could recommend a contractor or help you find someone that advertises mobile home repair in your area.

As the cheapest and somewhat short term repair, it looks like the trim can be removed, the siding sealed, new trim installed and then the skirting. Looks like the skirting needs repair or replacing too. This is not the best repair, but it could last for quite a while. It depends on how bad that rot is.

Another longer lasting alternative is to cut out 2' section of the bottom of the siding and then add some blocking at that cut area, then install a metal "Z" bar up under the cut siding. Then replace the bottom section of the removed siding. The blocking would give you something to nail the z bar, old and new siding to. Then seal and paint. I would only caulk the bottom side of the Z bar (before shoving the new piece in) Caulk on the top could crack or separate, trapping water.

Of course there is the best repair. Replace the siding. Hope this helps.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Javrixx

I live in West Valley, Utah. A few minutes away from Salt Lake City.

I'm not too familiar with the terms, so I'll some of this stuff up. Right now I'm looking for the cheapest and quickest solution.

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.
JD
Site Admin

Well, the very cheapest repair of the wood probably would not last long. That would be to remove any flaking loose material from the bottom of the siding and paint A LOT of Kilz Original over the rotted area. Maybe 5-6 coats or more. 1 gallon is like $17 and would be more than enough to do this. You are trying to make a protective skin over the damage, so a couple of coats won't do. Then replace the trim. Painted hardboard or even plywood will not last long. I would suggest using hardi-panel 4x8 sheets, ripped to 6" strips. Paint that with primer and a top coat of good latex. For better results, use Ame's Research Super Primer. 2-3 coats of that stuff is probably better than twice as much Kilz. It is a penetrating primer that makes a water proof skin. It is also clear, so you won't see as much primer on your wall. One really good use of SuperPrimer is when you install the trim, paint this clear primer on the top edge of the trim and just 1/2" or so of the siding where it meets the trim. This does seal that area, but better yet, it will make the caulking you use at this transition stick and work for a very long time. the caulking will tend to pull away from plain painted siding. The SuperPrimer will stick to siding real well and the caulk will hold on to the primer.

The skirting is damaged pretty bad near the ground. You may be able to save that by resetting it and then installing Skirt Guard. (links below) You may have to add something to the bottom/back of the skirting to support it. Maybe that plastic lawn edging stuff that comes in brown or green strips. New skirting (DIY) is not all that expensive, so you may want to do that.

This is for sure a shade tree repair, but it could last for years. Here are some links.

Ame's Super Primer
http://www.amesresearch.com/superprime.htm

SkirtGuard
http://www.skirt-guard.com/
You may be able to get it from Mark at this web site or you could try...
http://www.mobilehomeadvantage.com/sku. ... 223/ID/26/
or try
This is a different product, but does the same thing
http://www.randgsupply.com/Warehouse/Sk ... omtrim.htm

This is what it looks like

This is just my low cost suggestion. Maybe others will pose better ideas.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.