New Metal Roof Manual

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

suncrest79

Hi everyone,

I'm finally ALMOST done with my kitchen, so now I'm thinking about the old metal roof. It's the original from 1979 but is in pretty decent condition. No damage to trusses or any beams, at least that I am aware of.

Basically, I was wondering if anyone has a copy of the booklet "An Inexpensive Metal Roof You Can Install Yourself"? It is also a chapter in "The Manual for Manufactured/Mobile Home Repair & Upgrade".

If you do have a copy could you please tell me the following:

1) Does the booklet really have all the information and instructions that you need to install a new metal roof for only about $1,000?

2) Are ALL the supplies really available at the average big box store?

3) Do you end up with a decent quality roof that will last for at least 20 years without ever having to be sealed again?

4) Is the booklet worth buying? What is your general opinion of the booklet.

Any information about the booklet and/or chapter in the manual would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe
JD
Site Admin

1. I am sure that at the time that book was written, that was probably an accurate estimate for minimal materials. I am sure prices have increaced since then though. Still probably one of the least expensive choices for a new DIY roof. 26ga corrugated roofing is pretty thin stuff and should be fully supported, i.e. laid onto an existing flat roof. Stepping on 26ga laid on trusses is very risky. So stepping up to a 24ga or better would make a better roof, but increases the price. Going with a different rib design can offer better strength and looks, but will increase the price. Going with a hidden fastener panel will give you the best results, but will increase the price again.

2. Big box stores stock their stores according to the needs of their local community. Some stores will have corrugated metal on the racks. Some stores like the ones in my area have it available as Special Order.

Trim materials, sealants and fasteners are all available at home stores, but then again, you would find better products at a pro-grade store and often the prices can be cheaper.

3. How long one of these roofs will last will depend on the quality of the build, quality of the materials, your maintenance, and weather exposure in your local area. Here in Central Valley California, very few sealants will last 20 years. This is especially true of 50 year silicone. I imagine it will be silicone for 50 years. It just won't be on your roof any more. Typically, all roofs will need some maintenance at some point. Only the very best caulkings will last 20 years on a roof in my area. Freezing temps are probably as adverse to long life as ridiculous amounts of sun and heat.

4. I highly recommend the manual for DIY homeowners that are somewhat new to repairs on mobile homes. But even seasoned pros with experience in non-related trades could pick up valuable tid-bits and ideas from this book. Having just one "a ha!" moment could prevent a very costly mistake. I would say that the book should be considered an excellent general guide though. It is not like a Chilton's manual that lays out every move. Even a Chilton's manual will not be as complete as a set of factory manuals. for those of you that don't know, Chilton's make automotive repairs manuals.

It is up to anyone doing repairs to be responsible for choosing and implementing their plans. There are always alternative plans, techniques and materials for any repair.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.