Plumbing leak question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

wislndixie

I have a 3 way tee under my mobile home with a slow leak. It's the old PB gray pipe. Can someone tell me the best way to replace the tee without replumbing the whole house right now?
Thanks,
Mike
JD
Site Admin

You can use PEx, but it can get quite elaborate. The crimp ring type only has a PB to PEx adapter and no Ts.

SharkBite (aka GatorBite) fitting can work with PB pipe, but it is not covered by the SharkBite warranty because it is not an approved plumbing pipe. I have used them with PB many times and have never had a problem.

Provided all 3 lines coming into the T are 1/2", you can use the T below.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
jasonksizemore

Don't know if many people recommend them, but for a real quick fix I started using the quick connect fittings, in the pex section at Lowe's. They would connect PB to pex, PVC, and cpvc no problems!!! Just push in all the way then pull out to lock, and you're good to go. Lowe's has them in 3/4 all the way around or 1/2, don't know about 3/4,3/4,1/2 or other combinations.
After many many leaks with the PB I am glad to say as of last week, I am PB free and 100% PEX now!!!
Jason
He that hath the Son hath life, he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. 1John 5:12
Brenda OH reregister

there is another fitting brand called a FLAIRIT that will fit the gray pipe. it has the pipe slide in, and then the collar is screwed down, which feels more secure to me than the push in fittings.

some rv stores carry them. they are especially helpful if you run into 3/8 pipe.

there is one that fits the 3/8 inch gray pipe on one side, and 1/2 pex on the other end, allowing you to change over to regular pex as you make repairs.

brenda (OH)