An electrical fuse box problem.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

elocs

Here is a picture that is similar to my fusebox:
http://jimspearsfusebox.tripod.com/help/oldfusebox.jpg

My problem is with the fuse holder with the handle above the screw in fuses. In each there are two Buss non-50 250 volts or less cartridge fuses about the size of a lipstick holder. This is on the main fuse. I have a number of these fuses, including some which are brand new. Only 1 old fuse will actually work. If I have this particular old fuse on the left side I will have power to my living room and kitchen, even with an exact brand new fuse in the other side.

If I switch these fuses around, putting the old fuse on the right, then I will have power in my bathroom and on the lights which use light switches, but there will then be no power in the living room and kitchen.l

So that's the dilemma: one old fuse will work on either side to provide power, but even a new fuse on the opposite side will not work.

Any ideas? (This is a 40 year old mobile home.)

TIA
Brenda OH reregister

Hi Tia,

electrical questions are kind of a no-no on the forum, but I will say that the set up sounds kind of old, how about upgrading with a new service panel that uses circuit breakers?

then replacement parts will be readily available, service calls from an electrician may take less time, probably improve safety, easier to get insurance, easier to sell if want to do that in the future etc...

also, the electrician can consider loads on the particular circuits, match wire sizes to loads and circuits, and get you a much better set-up overall that reflects how we use electricity today vs when most people owned fewer appliances and "toys" such as microwaves, big tvs, sound systems, blow dryers etc.

Brenda (OH)
Yanita

Hi,

Please read the "stickies" that are posted on the main page of the repair forum.

Thanks for your response Brenda.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!