elec ? for water heater

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

cr8ivrose

We have decided to replace my son's water heater with an electric one, is there a way to tell if he has enough amps (?) to have a wire ran from the box to the heater? He has 2 together marked dryer with 30 each on them (which he doesn't have right now) He also has one for a dishwasher that he doesn't have anymore and then 2 for the ac which he doesn't have anymore (that's a whole other episode!)
The breaker box is right outside the bedroom where the water heater is, and theres a closet right across from it with the furnace. It looks like a line could be ran against the wall above the furnace and into the closet and then right into the water heater space which is right next to the closet. What do you all think, and any idea how much something like that would cost!
tritontr

We are cautioned about giving out any electrical advice on this forum due to the safety issues and not knowing the skill level of the people performing the work. I would advise contacting a licensed electrician in your area to guide you on how to proceed.
cr8ivrose

I appreciate that, but we are not doing it ourselves, scares me! I was just wondering if what we are wanting to have done is feasible without costing a fortune.

Thanks,
Rose
Barbara

I just replaced a natural gas water heater with electric. I had this done by a mobile home repair/supply service in my area. They removed the old gas appliance and patched up the vent holes in the floor. They capped off the gas lines. They ran the electrical from the box across the closet wall, attaching it with clips to the front wall above the closet doors. It is neat and out of sight. They tested the available circuit before doing any wiring (they have some kind of device to test this). They also replaced all connections that were corroded.

The total bill was for all parts and labor plus the new water heater and haul-away of the old heater, so I estimate the labor and parts portion was around $350, give or take. Normally they charge $225 to replace a water heater; mine was higher because of the electrical work and patching of the floor.

I could have hired a handyman for less, probably, but for safety and insurance purposes I wanted it done to code.
cr8ivrose

Thanks Barb, that seems like a good price, I'll call some mobile home places here in Missouri and see if I can get a quote.

Thanks,
Rose
Greg

By the sounds of what is NOT being used, you should have plenty of service left for the water heater. Most require a 30 amp breaker. Please contact a qualified Electrician to wire it in for you.

As tritontr said, we do not give spacific advice in electrical & gas, these two areas are not the place to on the job training, one mistake can have fatal results. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
cr8ivrose

Thanks Greg, I am going to make some calls today to see about the electric, I was just trying to get an educated guess if this is feasible to do. I'm afraid of electric and gas, that's one of the reasons for switching to elec. heater as opposed to gas.

Thanks,
Rose