vinyl skirting problem

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Barbara

Hi all, I have lurked here for awhile and found much helpful information. I have a skirting problem and hope someone can suggest a fix.

I have faux rock vinyl skirting (sometimes called reil rock). It is required in my park, meaning metal skirting is not an option and regular vinyl skirting is also not an option. Other homes that have been here a while have regular vinyl or metal, and their skirting looks nice and is intact after many years in place. My skirting, however, has been in place less than two years and it is a mess.

The problem is at one section of my home only and is caused by frost heave. The rest of my skirting looks great as there seems to be the frost heave issue only in that one area. In the problem area, the skirting is buckled and pushed inward, resulting in gaps at the seams that allow cats and rodents to gain access to the crawlspace.

From what I understand, faux rock skirting panels are normally installed by either burying the bottom 3-4 inches in the ground or setting the bottom of the panels in a bottom rail that sits on the ground and is secured with ground spikes. My skirting is in a bottom rail and as stated before, all looks great and is intact, except for one 25 to 30-foot section.

This spring a neighbor and I plan to remove and reinstall the damaged area of my skirting. We believe the panels are reusable as they are not broken; they are just bent out of shape a bit. Most or all can probably be straightened and reinstalled.

Does anyone know of a top rail that would accommodate faux rock skirting? I have checked with mobile home parts stores and none offer a top rail system for this type of skirting.

I have found some metal support bars that self-adjust with ground movement and plan to install one behind each of the faux-mortar seams of the skirting, then with hex screws bolt the panels together at those seams. That will provide support behind the skirting to keep it more rigid, but how can I secure the skiring at the top without a top rail? Currently the top of the panels are just slipped under the vinyl siding of my home, and that works well and looks great in every area except this one problem area where the ground heaves considerably.

My preference would be to remove this skirting and replace it with either regular vinyl or metal skirting, but park owners will not allow those materials to be used (even thought they are far better materials for areas with frost heave issues, in my opinion).

Suggestions on how to secure faux rock vinyl panels and still allow for ground movement will be appreciated. Thank you.
Greg

Hi & welcome. Mark (site owner) has an artical in the articals section of the site he wrote when he replaced his. He used steel, but it would be the same basic method using vinyl. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Harry

Hi

Here's a link to that article: http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/article6.htm

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
JD
Site Admin

I would think that regular vinyl skirting top trim would work well with the Reil stuff. There is a gray or dessert tan color that might work with your colors.

If the Reil is too thick for regular skirting trim, mobilehomeadvantage.com has an insulated vinyl skirting that is 1" thick. The trim is otherwise the same as the standard type vinyl skirting.

For anyone looking for an insulated skirting that looks like rock, R-co Products sent me a sample of some great looking stuff that is extra rigid and heavy duty. A 1" polystyrene foam laminate product, so it would be an R-4 I imagine. It is not vinyl clad. It is some kind of hard molded material. I only have the sample and have not installed it yet. Not much call for insulated skirting where I am at. Just throwing it out there in case someone is looking for strong insulated skirting.

JD

http://www.rcoproducts.com/rcotec_skirting_main.htm
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Rod

Barbara,

JD has a good idea regarding the top track. Use the trim kit from Rapid Wall. The top & bottom tracks are designed to accept panels 1.5" thick and they install just like regular vinyl skirting trim. Rapid wall is also available in Gray, Almond & White.

Hey there JD,

my 2 cents on R-Co

As for the R-CO products, we've installed a few. Much more realistic look than the Reil Rock or the K-Rock products. They use a limestone base coating. R-5 insulation value. Available in stone, stucco & brick finishes. The draw backs are cost and its time consuming to install. The biggest problem we've seen with them is if its not in stock lead time can be up to 12 weeks, even when their not busy. But they'll tell you 4-6 to get the order. The product is made here in NY, so shipping to the west coast will be pricey.

We install the Rapid wall 10-1 over the R-Co. Its faster, less expensive, readily available and R-8 insulation.

Both are a huge improvement over traditional skirting

Rod
Barbara

Thanks all for your replies. I had read the article about a better way to skirt and got some good tips from it, but no tips about how to secure the top part of my type of skirting. This reil rock vinyl is too thick for standard top rails, and I appreciate the suggestions of the top rail system to accommodate thicker molded skirting.

I like the idea of insulated skirting as I am in Wisconisn, and I thought I might check into using that product in the area where I have the skirting problems now. If it can be had in similar appearance to what I have now, I could incorporate it easily enough, but right now my budget will not allow me to re-skirt my entire home. It is nice stuff, though!

I am going now to look at the top rail that was suggested; maybe using that in the problem area will solve the problem for now, and can be reused with the insulated skirting in a year or so when I can afford to re-skirt.

Again, thanks!
Harry

Hi

Here's a link to some instructions that may help:

http://www.charltonbuildingsupply.com/s ... stall.html

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?