Intertherm furnace making clicking sound

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

AngieH63

Yesterday, my furnace started making clicking sounds every few minutes. It sounds like the click sound that it usually makes before it turns on. But it isn't coming on until its supposed to. The heat did come on like normal last night. But the clicking sound continues. Haven't needed the heat since then, in fact the a/c is on. It is an Intertherm Ultraflex FE-A series. Should I be worried about the clicking noise? It is starting to get warmer and we won't need the heat much anyways, but I need to know if I need to do anything. It is the furnace that came with the mobile home when it was bought and has never been replaced or needed repair. The mobile home is a 1982 model. We have now noticed the heater is not cutting off. It's not blowing hot air through the vents, but it is staying warm itself.
Last edited by AngieH63 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny

they will need the make and model number of your unit to help you.

johnny
If I can't fix it -- I ask questions
AngieH63

It is an Intertherm Ultraflex FE-A Series Electric Furnace. Appliance no. F 000726834. That is all the numbers I have for it. An electrician came out and said it's a bad thermostat. He has yet to come and replace it. Right now there is no thermostat attached and it is still clicking. We had the breaker turned off all night. He needed it turned on while he was here. It came on like normal, but is still clicking. It feels a little warm, but not hot, and the outside utility meter is not running any faster, so I don't think it is continually on, just the weird clicking. I guess we'll see what happens when the new thermostat is attached.
AngieH63

okay, that cost me $60 and still absolutely no change. Lots of clicking and the furnace remains warm. Hubby is afraid it will burn itself out, so wants to leave the breaker off as much as possible. The furnace still heats normally.Will it burn itself out?
Yanita

Hi Angie,

Sorry for the delay in the answer to your post...will get a hold of some others.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
AngieH63

We let the furnace run last night. It still heats fine. Now Hubby says he's concerned it could start a fire or catch on fire. Is this really a concern? It feels warm to the touch when it is off and clicking, but not hot. He wants to keep the breaker off during the day when it is warm, but we are still having cold enough nights that we need some heat. Every heating and air repair place I called said they do not work on these types of furnaces. They suggested I call an electrician. We had the electrician out yesterday, and it is still not fixed.
Robert

Hi,

Look down around the bottom control box area and see if you see a data sticker with complete furnace model number.

IF this ONLY happens in heat mode, it is most likely a faulty sequencer.

Has the t-stat been removed ?

If so and still clicking in heat mode, you could also have an element coil that has fallen down against element frame or other element.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
AngieH63

It did still click while the electrician had the thermostat disconnected. He came back today to see exactly what is going on. He said it's the relay getting stuck. He's going to buy the part and put it on sometime tomorrow (I hope!) Hopefully, it will be fixed tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!
Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome, happy to help. Check those coils to ensure they are not fallen down and touching frame or each other.

IF t-stat was disconnected, there would be no power to energize the elements or cause any clicking.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
AngieH63

As long as the breaker is on, it clicks. We just turned it back on because it's supposed to get cold tonight. It is back to clicking. Hubby is worried it could catch on fire or start a fire. I'm willing to sleep in the cold. Should we turn the breaker back off or not worry about it? I'd rather have the heat if there is no danger.
Robert

Hi,

Go here and follow steps to remove blower assembly housing:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/article ... lower.html

Then you can lean in and look down to see if any coils have fallen and are touching frame or other coils.

IF t-stat is disconnected and t-stat wires disconnected and it clicks when breaker is on, there is a short circuit and above is most common one.

Turn breaker OFF until resolved as it could cause a fire.

IF a coil has fell, you can remove the element drawer assemblies after marking where wires go and disconnecting.

Sometimes they just fall and can be reinstalled correctly.

The rods at back go into holes in back wall to hold elements.

Make sure power is OFF before doing any of above mentioned things.

Thanks,
Robert
Robert

Hi,

When breaker is turned on and furnace is heating, does the blower motor ever come on to circulate the warmed air ?

Thanks,
Robert
AngieH63

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean. The furnace runs normally when the breaker is on. When it gets to where the thermostat is set, it comes on and works normally, with the blower motor running, I assume. When it is off, the blower motor does not run. It clicks, and the furnace stays warm. We did let the furnace run last night and this morning a short while. The breaker is off now until the electrician comes back.
Robert

Look at the elements and see if one has fallen. That is what it sounds like by what you stated.

The clicking is the limit turning off power to elements when it reaches an overheated point, then clicking back on once it has cooled down.

That would be my first suspect.

Thanks,
Robert
AngieH63

The electrician did not come back. He had to go out of town unexpectedly. He recommended a guy he knows, a hvac tech. I finally got a hold of him and he says he'll be out tomorrow afternoon. The electrician (my husband's old boss) told him the situation. The hvac guy says he knows exactly what it is and has the part. I hope that is the case.