what to expect from insurance co. re: water damage **UPDATE*

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ms vg

We had our washing machine hose burst during the night and have alot of water damage over a great deal of our house. Insurance (State Farm) adjuster is to come to day. I know they're going to replace the floor coverings however some of our cheapo original kitchen cabinets have damage too and the repair guy is squacking about how the cabinets were built in place and can't match them.

Has anyone had any similar experience? I'm not sure what to ask the adjustor, or to expect?
Last edited by ms vg on Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

Hi & welcome. First, get things dried as soon as possible, get the fans out and the ait moving.

Document EVERYTHING, get pictures, take names of every meeting & phone conversation.

Depending on the extent of damage you may also be looking at subfloor repair. Most subfloors are made of partical board witch is nothing but sawdust pressed & glued into a sheet, add water and it turns into mush board when it dries it reverts back to sawdust.

Cabinets will be next to impossible to match, but you should be able to reach an agreement and get enough money to at least cover a good portion of new cabinets.

I would strongly consider purchasing Mark's (site owner) book on repair & upgrade in the books & parts section of the site. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ms vg

Thank you Greg for the warm welcome! :D

I've lurked on these forums for some time and gained a great deal of information to put to use. Great folks here.

Floors are dry now, fans and dehumidifiers were in place the day the "flood" occurred. Crossing my fingers the subfloor is ok, seems to be, it is OSB which I'm told is a good thing instead of the partical board.

I hope you're right on the cabinets. They were really cheapo. I 'll post an update after adjustor comes.
Thanks!
Greg

Glad the floor is OSB, but keep an eye on it and have the adjuster make note that no damage visable AT THIS TIME, it could take some time for damage to apear.

If you have any Mr Seconds (Grossmans) stores in your area, they have Sunco cabinets, not expensive, but GREAT quality, all hardwood & PLYWOOD , no mushboard. Well worth looking at. Greg
Yanita

Hi,

Another welcome and sorry for your flood.

Remember the insurance adjuster is going to offer a pro rated amount on replacement items.

As Greg said..."DOCUMENTATION" is everything, names, date, pics, preferably not from a digital camera.

Do a search on this and you should find some older post about others that have gone through the same thing.

Please keep us updated on what happens.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Teatime

I think a lot depends on your policy. I have a replacement policy, which means they can't deduct "depreciation" from what they give me. That makes a big difference!

I haven't had water damage in my MH but I did at my former stickbuilt home when an AC line backed up and flooded part of my master bedroom suite. The adjustor gave me VERY generous allowances on replacing the damaged flooring and such. He wrote me out a check and it more than covered the cost to replace everything. In fact, I was able to upgrade the carpeting in my bedroom and get porcelain tile instead of carpeting in the closet and dressing room! I went to a flooring warehouse and got good prices.

I have All State insurance for my home but I think they and State Farm pretty much operate the same way. When I got my MH policy, they told me that MHs are insured a bit differently -- as long as my home is under 10 years old, which it is, I can get this "replacement cost" insurance but when it's over 10, the policy will reflect depreciation. I pay more for the replacement policy and a VERY low deductible but I think it's worth it.

Good luck! I hope it all works out well for you!
Tea
Guyverix

I literally just got my check from my insurance company for replacement of all my floor insulation, as well as my vapor barrier.

Rats had chewed through the water lines from one end of the house to the other. :(

For the most part if you have above and below pics, and a couple of estimates from repair outfits its pretty painless. The adjuster will come out and take his own pics and usually knows then and there what he is going to tell the insurance agency. Then it is just getting the check minus your deductible for the company that you are going to use.

The adjuster is going to want a copy of the estimate from whoever you are going to use, and at least in my case the check was made out to me AND that company, so you just sign it over to them when they do the work.
A birth control pill for men? Thats fair. It makes more sense to take the bullets out of the gun than to wear a bulletproof vest.
ms vg

FYI, we do have replacement cost on our policy.

Adjustor came out yesterday. Nice guy but definately got the impression he's trying to blow smoke up my butt. :x

Replacing the flooring is not in question, that is a done deal. However the cabinet damage is another thing. I wil readily admit (not to them) these are the cheapest cabinets I've ever seen. BUT the wood that sits on the floor that connects to the cabinets is visually damaged. It's swollen in places and makes the doors looked warped. It's not all cabinets but some, and the vinyl runs under the cabinets. First concern is mold and mildew if that vinyl is not removed and secondly is the damage to the wood at the bottom.

Adjustor said cabinets look ok, the doors can be adjusted at the hinges to make close properly and there is a hump in the subfloor probably caused by either a high pier or high floor joist and that is why cabinet doors are doing this. He also said after any type of damage homeowners look, as they should, for every little item that's wrong. However there ususally are things wrong before the damage homeowners just don't realize it and think it's part of the claim.

I don't think so.

Our contractor is coming back to day as Adjustor said to get moisture meter under the cabinets and take a reading. If the meter hits on a certain percentage then cabinets come out.

Just a little more info...this contractor is part of a premier service arrangement with the insurance company. He handles the whole claim. He called the adjustor as he wanted to cover himself on the cabinets (ie: removing them then having insurance co. jump him for a larger expense).

Also Adjustor didn't want the contractor here when he inspected. I thought this was very odd. Seemed like while Adjustor was a nice enough guy but he didn't particularly care for the contractor even tho he admitted he's never even met him.

I will try and get a pic and post on here just to see what you all think.

Thank you all for your responses so far. :)
Harry

Hi

Just so ya know...not all insurance policies cover damage from bursted plumbing. Often it shows up as an "exclusion".

I think you are lucky they did anything at all.

Sounds like you are at the whip and whim of the adjuster. We are faced with the same problem in Florida. Not long ago I called my insurance company with a few questions and the answer was "it depends what the adjuster says".

Good luck with your claim. Hope they don't jack up your premium.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
ms vg

Contractor was back yesterday, there is high moisture level under the cabinets and no way to get the vinyl out without removing them. So a wait and see from Insurance adjustor as to what really will happen now even tho he had said if moisture there they will remove cabinets...we'll see.

We should be picking out carpet, laminate and vinyl tomorrow. Ducts will be cleaned before they reinsulate and belly wrap. YAH!!!

I hope they don't jack my premiums out to the moon nor cancel my insurance. A shame you pay dearly for insurance but if/when you need it you have to worry about cancelation. :(

I meant to post a pic of the damage but batteries are shot on camera......IF I remember to get batteries I will post them.
Harry

Hi

Be sure you and the contractor eyeball the OSB floor really close for signs of swelling and delamination before you put down the coverings. Todays OSB is good stuff. Plywood is a bit stronger.

Good luck to you.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

As I said before, keep everything documented. I'm not wild about a contractor that has a contract with an insurance company. I somehow feel that since they are working for the insurance company rather than you they may try to cut some corners. Keep a close eye on them. Greg
ms vg

Harry thanks for the reminder. I'm not quite sure how to 'document' possible osb future problems but I will discuss and document on my end.

Gregg, I would normally be very concerened about the contractor/insurance co. relationship; however we are in a very small closeknit rural community, this is a local guy we know and does alot of non-insurance work, so I'm not so worried about that....not meaning I give him free range but I do feel more confident in him than the adjustor.

Adjustor redeemed himself a bit yesterday! After receiving the moisture readings he's agreed to pull the cabinets to remove the vinyl and get moisture dried. New cabinets! :o Hopefully next week flooring and cabinets will be ordered.
ms vg

Still sitting in chaos BUT new cabinets should be here next week then the flooring will go in. So hopefully within the next 2 weeks all will be back in place and normal living can resume! :)

The only concern we have had is with the pricing on replacing the flooring EVEN with replacement cost. Apparently insurance co's now send samples to a lab place in Florida....intel ? not sure of the name and they give EXACT info on samples and pricing. I know the original kitchen floor and carpeting was contractor grade but the pricing allowance was ROCK BOTTOM EXTREMELY low. I need to find out if inflation is considered in the replacement cost as it doesn't appear so.

I will update after the ducts are cleaned and belly wrapped, and the inside work is complete.

Thank you all for your advice.
'93 Clayton DW
JD
Site Admin

I have worked with Foremost, Allstate, Farmers, Michigan Miller and a host of lesser known companies. From my experience, the bigger name companies work similarly for the most part. Testing the sample of your vinyl can tell them about the layers and thus the quality of the vinyl, ie.. 6yr warranty, 12 yr warranty etc.. It may also tell them the actual brand and product #. This also allows them to document that the vinyl is asbestos free (or not) in older homes.

Your replacement should be of the same value or higher if a similar vinyl is not available. With the replacement policy, this should not change your expense. The deductible should be all you pay. I have on many occasions upgraded a flooring product, billing the customer for the difference in retail prices. I will call the adjuster and tell him the figures, and they have always OK'd it. I will say that my bid is usually higher than the Exactimate bid software they used, but they then add a supplemental to the claim to raise the payout accordingly. So it is important that the final claim amount matches the contract price of a contractor actually doing the work. This has been my experience for the most part. Your actual mileage may vary.

Hope this helps,
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.