Nordyne Heat-Pump trips breaker

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

tocumusr

Nordyne (1994 vintage?)
Heating Coils: E1EH-202HA
Split System Heat Pump: no info on tag
A/C Coil: C1QA-042U-B
Heat/Cool Blower: 902805

A/C system worked fine this past summer (2008).

Heat worked until about 3 weeks ago. My Mother awoke to a cold house. Ducts were blowing cold air. T-stat was set for "Heat". She set to "E-heat" and that worked to warm the house.

I found breakers to outside Heat Pump tripped. Reset breakers. Called for normal "Heat", breakers tripped. Shut off all breakers, re-seated all electrical connections (I could find) and tightened all terminal screws. Breakers back on, call for heat, Heat Pump breakers tripped again.

Waited 15 min. Set T-stat to "Cool" (to narrow problem to heat and/or cool). Set temp to turn on, A/C breakers to Heat Pump tripped.

May 2007: Serviceman replaced a "3C114 WR Sequencer" and added R-22.

Suggestions, Please?

I'm still reading the posts for similar situations...

p.s. I also saw your comment about placing filter on door vent. This installation has air handler in same closet (about 5'x2') as water heater. I'm not sure if there is a filter location under the A-coil. Your recommended filter location: Door, top of A-Coil, under A-Coil (if available)?

"Humbly Grateful" for you advice,

- George
tritontr

If the breaker trips instantly when you call for heat or a/c you have a short in the outside condensing unit. It could be a shorted fan motor, burnt wire on your compressor terminals, or a short to ground inside your compressor windings. With the power off to your outside unit and inside air handler(so you don't short out the 24V coming from the air handler to your outside unit ) you can look to see if there are any burnt wires around the contactor. If you can get to your compressor cover remove it and look in there you may need a mirror to see again MAKE SURE THE POWER IS OFF to the system. If everything looks OK call a tech so he can determine where your problem is there is a lot of money difference between a shorted fan motor and compressor so this is where using a tech pays off. If the breaker does not trip instantly you may have a start kit problem if your unit has one(bad capacitor or relay) or your compressor could be reaching (LRA) locked rotor amps and tripping the breaker.
Robert

Thanks triton, been sick with nasty crap going around and now have lost my voice also.

Just on for a few minutes while taking meds.

Have had this on/off since Dec. 3, can't kick it.

I agree with triton here .

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
tocumusr

Thanks, Guys! I had done a quick visual for connections and such (nothing obvious, to me), so a call to a pro is in the works. (Now, I hope I have selected the right "pro". . .)

- George
Robert

Hi George,

You're very welcome, happy to help , though didn't do much on this one.

IF he/she has any trouble finding problem, may be time for another tech as this shouldn't be too aweful hard to distinguish where the fault is.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?