Beckett AF15 Intermittent Delayed Ignition !

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Hiskid

I have a Miller Furnace with a Beckett af 15 burner about 5 years old...I had a clogged nozzle that was spraying unburned oil and not burning right..I put a new nozzle and inline filter on and cleaned up the electrode tips.It fired with a good burn and I just had to tweak the air... What is driving me buggy is the intermittent ignition..One time it will fire as soon as the pump starts and the next time it will be a few seconds then sometimes it won't fire at all and lock up..Then it will fire upon reset...The transformer throws a good arc to my screwdriver...Anybody ever have this issue ?
Robert

Hi,

I have had very little experience working on oil furnaces and have never owned one or lived in a home of my own with one.

My parent's home had one, but an hvac tech was always called for problems.

So, going to leave this for those more knowledgeable that can help better than I.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
DigitalDreams

Don't claim to be a expert on this but have been running a older miller for best part of 20 years in my place and it sounds like the lenses on the flame sensor may be dirty or sooty.

I have had similar problems where my nozzles plugged up and igniter
wasn't getting stream shot past it properly, so got incomplete burn at beginning of cycle, and the soot caused photo cell lens on flame checker to get dirty,kind of a oily sooty coating on it ,making it act really glitchy.

I clean mine with a cue tip dipped in dawn dish soap and water.
Make sure it is dry tho after you are done as electric and water don't mix and if you don't feel confortable using that zippo lighter fluid will work, we use to use it to clean tv tuners for oily dust because it is a self evaporating cleaner.

If that don't work try replacing the reset box it is basicly a breaker like on your house wiring and just like the ones in your house ,pull
to hard on them for to long and they get weak.If this solves the problem then you need to check amperage draw on furnace because something may be pulling to hard.
Robert

Thanks for the post, I appreciate it.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?