Burning smell after power outage

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

msufroggy

Furnace model #7710-856 Presidential II

The furnace was running while there was a power outage. Within a few minutes, I noticed a bad burning smell coming from the furnace (filled the house actually :(~ ), and the furnace doors were hot! I immediately shut the main gas valve off and the gas valve, and let it cool down with the covers off.

What would cause this? I was thinking that, with everything shut off abruptly, that the blower wasn't there to keep it under the temp limit. I didn't check to see if the burner was still on, but didn't really "hear" them on.
Is it possible that the burner could still be going a short time after a power outage???

Is there something I should be checking on this furnace to avoid this problem in the future?

We have had 2 power outages (neighborhood problem, not just our home) in the past month. So now we won't run our furnace either when we are gone, nor when we are sleeping.

Thanks for "listening" :)~
Robert

Hi,

Do you still need help ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
msufroggy

Hi Robert! Thanks for checking in. I am not having a problem since we haven't had any power outages, but I was wondering if you had any answers to my questions/theories above.

We won't run the furnace unless we are home, or awake!.

We still have the issue of the pilot going out when the furnace shuts off after it's cycle. I posted in another thread about this a couple months ago. We are just dealing with it by lighting the pilot when we need the furnace on.

I has stayed on two to three times on it's own without blowing out, but it's few and far in between. I do have a draft, but it's not the draft blowing it out, as the pilot can stay lit all day, then u call for heat, it runs it cycle, shuts off, and there goes the pilot.
I was going to buy a transformer to start (I do hear a slight hum from it all the time...very quiet hum). Just haven't had the time to go get one.

Thanks for checkin in on me! :)
Robert

Hi,

Most likely due to blower stopping with no power and heat not dissipated from heat chamber.

The smell could be from heat in chamber or possibly an arc at transformer or one of the switches causing burning of plastic/wires.

Check/clean pilot burner and pilot tube and make sure pilot flame crosses top 3/8" to 1/2" of thermocouple.

Also, make sure you have an all weather cap tightly on roof jack.

Might be good to have furnace checked by an hvac tech for safety.

Not much you can do about power outages.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?